Baker WB lower tower casting question

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Jim Corcoran

Baker WB lower tower casting question

Post by Jim Corcoran »

I put my rebuilt WB back on the original stub tower that came with it and the WB2 lower tower casting (“storm stay”, “trueing center”, etc.) doesn’t seem to be in the right location. It sets about 4 inches higher up the stem than the enclosed drawing shows. While it appears everything would work okay as is, there is a likelyhood that the swivel bail could snag on the lip at the bottom of the stem.

It is interesting that the tower legs have two sets of holes, one set of which is in the proper location but too wide apart for the WB casting to fit. The head plate at the top of the tower will not allow the legs to shift inward in order to move the tower casting down to the lower mounting holes.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should it work okay as it is?

Image-2.jpg
Baker WB drawing.jpg

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Re: Baker WB lower tower casting question

Post by windybob »

Jim,notice the set of holes in the tower under the stormstay holes you are using... I think those are the ones you need to use. The stay itself has slotted holes for tweaking.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
Thanks, I do understand that the tower casting should be mounted to the lower set of holes. However, the legs cannot flex in enough to accommodate this due to the tight bolt pattern at the head plate.

This image shows the 1" gap between the casting and the leg when the opposite corner is snugged up tight to its corresponding leg. This gap could be rectified by using some approx. 1/2" spacers at each corner I suspose.

Just curious why the pieces don't bolt up correctly. BTW, I put it back together exactly as it was assembled when I got it.

WB storm stay-1a.jpg
Thanks again,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think you need to use the lower holes, because the wheel on these short-nose mills runs really close to the tower. So, by pulling the legs in, you wind up with more room for the wheel. What you might try, is to loosen up the top bolts, then see if it lines up better. I have used spacers before, but doing that means risking the wheel hitting. Don't try to pull the legs in without loosening up other bolts first, then you still don't want to pull too tight on the stormstay. I have a shelf full of broken ones, so they are not that strong.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Bob,
Did just as you suggested and it worked out okay. The storm stay is now in the lower holes and everything works as it should. Got to say, it surprised me that the casting could actually shift down that much.

Once again I'm in your debt. Many thanks!

Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

Not in my debt! Thanks is all i need. Glad it all worked out. I thought you finished this a long time ago. Glad you finally are getting closer to done. Winter is coming!
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

I'm pretty much through with the WB. Still have some work to do on the tower. I want to mount this mill on my 3 legged Stover tower but need to figure out how I'm going to attach the WB head plate. (I don't have any drill bits that will drill the square carriage bolt mounting holes.) I'm thinking of fabricating a stub tower, which would make things easier but will need to locate some extra 60 degree angle for the legs. Or, the easier fix would be to find a three legged Baker tower.

Regards,
Jim
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Jim I have plenty of the angle iron in fact have a complete short tower. If you would buy my lunch I might meet you some where half way. Let me know. I usually like to go the back roads and stay off I 35. Maybe we can find some unique place to meet. I'm free everyday except Wed. or Thursday.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Wayne,
Thanks. PM sent.
Jim