Different Windmill Raising/ Tear Down Techniques

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Wayne

Re: Different Windmill Raising/ Tear Down Techniques

Post by Wayne »

That's right!
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

SAM_0050.JPG
I bought a JLG T350 from Home Depot that had been hit by lightning and fixed it up. I had rented one a couple of times and snagged it as soon as I saw an ad on Craigslist for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 pm SAM_0050.JPGI bought a JLG T350 from Home Depot that had been hit by lightning and fixed it up. I had rented one a couple of times and snagged it as soon as I saw an ad on Craigslist for it.
Bill,

Congrats on your purchase. I have rented these boom lifts for my projects and they are great to use. I love the fact that you can tow them behind your truck.

One downside is they are hard to lower straight down when lowering the motor on top of tower since the boom scissors and they are only rated for lifting up to 500 lbs. I wonder what the true lifting capacity really is??? But, overall they are great and I will use again. See video below that shows the new towable boom lift that you can move around the jobsite without the truck.

https://youtu.be/V4CH03wm9vs

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Jerry:
The top platform is removable. So, I built a jib crane arm with a hook so I can lift extra weight with me on the ground. I can still work at the top by climbing the ladder strapped to the top of the tower. Even better if a trusted friend can work the controls from the ground.

As far as positioning, (Now don't laugh too hard), I bought a 1/32
JLG T#%) Model.jpg
plastic scale model of this boom lift and use it to approximate the necessary ground position for a motor or wheel lift before I actually set it up. Even the rotation setup is necessary because you have to be able to hook up the parts on the ground from a position that also lets you take it up to the top while also clearing the tower within the rotation limits (you can't spin more than 365 degrees because of hose windup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 am Jerry:
The top platform is removable. So, I built a jib crane arm with a hook so I can lift extra weight with me on the ground. I can still work at the top by climbing the ladder strapped to the top of the tower. Even better if a trusted friend can work the controls from the ground.

As far as positioning, (Now don't laugh too hard), I bought a 1/32 JLG T#%) Model.jpgplastic scale model of this boom lift and use it to approximate the necessary ground position for a motor or wheel lift before I actually set it up. Even the rotation setup is necessary because you have to be able to hook up the parts on the ground from a position that also lets you take it up to the top while also clearing the tower within the rotation limits (you can't spin more than 365 degrees because of hose windup.
Bill,

You have any pics of the jib crane arm on the lift? Great idea.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

JLG_Hook.JPG
Here's the official optional part picture. I made an interface similar to this then added about 4 feet of arm with a hook at the end. I will get you a pic of the arm on the ground. My crane is in the shed and it needs to be out in the open to detach the operator station and bucket. Seems to me that rentals are still available from my local Home Depot, so you could fab your own jib option and patch it into the rental. I like the extended arm because it needs to fit within the blades etc. and can go a few more feet up if you need that extra height.

BTW mine is battery/electric. This means its quiet and don't have to shout down (or up) to a helper. This has had a lot more usefulness than I thought: Christmas lights, cupola raising, windmills, tree trimming, barn painting and a great deer stand. It has electric and power washing wiring and hoses up to the bucket, too. I use a small 2000W inverter generator occasionally, too. This was also an optional kit for the JLG lifts. For all the use I've had from it, rarely needs a battery charge (built in). BUT ! It takes getting used to the working height. I had a wheel come off a Star 24 (classic problem) and straightened it out. Set up the crane on a perfectly calm morning. Well the breeze 30' up made it quite an experience. You have to focus on the mission, not the motions. AND DON"T LOOK UP. If you see a cloud moving you are screwed.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm JLG_Hook.JPGHere's the official optional part picture. I made an interface similar to this then added about 4 feet of arm with a hook at the end. I will get you a pic of the arm on the ground. My crane is in the shed and it needs to be out in the open to detach the operator station and bucket. Seems to me that rentals are still available from my local Home Depot, so you could fab your own jib option and patch it into the rental. I like the extended arm because it needs to fit within the blades etc. and can go a few more feet up if you need that extra height.

BTW mine is battery/electric. This means its quiet and don't have to shout down (or up) to a helper. This has had a lot more usefulness than I thought: Christmas lights, cupola raising, windmills, tree trimming, barn painting and a great deer stand. It has electric and power washing wiring and hoses up to the bucket, too. I use a small 2000W inverter generator occasionally, too. This was also an optional kit for the JLG lifts. For all the use I've had from it, rarely needs a battery charge (built in). BUT ! It takes getting used to the working height. I had a wheel come off a Star 24 (classic problem) and straightened it out. Set up the crane on a perfectly calm morning. Well the breeze 30' up made it quite an experience. You have to focus on the mission, not the motions. AND DON"T LOOK UP. If you see a cloud moving you are screwed.
Thanks, I know what you mean about the movement up there. lol
I prefer the electric drivin one also, it was nice to work without all the sound from the gas engine one. What is the max weight would you attempt to lift with your boom?

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

No idea. It depends on the lateral moment arm length (the manual shows the arcs representing the theoretical range. My machine senses the outrigger loads and will NOT permit travel near the edge of the safety zone. I've picked up the motor + fan + tail assembly of my Baker model 8's without any trouble. They are pretty heavy. Here's one of the Bakers that Ken O'brock sold to me a few years ago, now well restored. I gave it to my long time friends for their 50th wedding anniversary. His wife used to come over to my place and take a nap alongside one of my creaking Star 37's. I had a bounce chair there that drew me like a magnet to the sound while I contemplated the meaning of Life.
20160708_205034.jpg
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Here's my home made jib crane add-on for my JLG T350 trailer lift. Since it's 2 pieces, I can insert a different piece of square tube or adjust it's length/reach.

The bucket is held onto the 2nd stage boom by a pin and a large steel dowel. My jib has the same pin and dowel arrangement. I can tip (pitch) the jib arm using the bucket forward tilt control for precise positioning. I've typically used a cable with an end loop on both ends to hold onto the mill and the hook. Later I disconnect the cable from the mill.
20190205_192431.jpg
20190205_192325.jpg
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've used those lifts for repairing on the tower and for taking blades,arms and vanes down. Because of the 500lb weight limit I haven't tried to pick up a head. I was afraid me,head and machine would end up on the ground. When I was moving and taking my windmills down I rented one of the lifts that has the extending boom you can drive around. Had basket two people could work out of. It could lift enough I felt safe picking up a head off a tower and bringing it down.