Aermotor wobble

......when you need to get in the weeds.
billcobb

Aermotor wobble

Post by billcobb »

Friend of mine stopped by to ask for help about an Aermotor he has on his property. It has an unusual wobble that seems almost like a tower problem. I have not seen it up close, but mills I have seen with this much fan distortion have not acted in this manner.

Worn pivot/turntable bearing?
loose turntable ?
worn casting ?
broken truing spider ?
weak tower joints ?

Problem is that its a 45' tower. Too tall for me to get up there with my boom lift.

Suggestions ? Any comments appreciated.
Thank you.
Bill Cobb
Brighton, MI.
Aermotor 10072020.MOV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Aermotor wobble

Post by windybob »

Wow, first thing is keep it turned off. Other wise you will be able to look at it on the ground. Don't know about the whole issue, but may be more than one thing. Probably a combination of things.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Something near the top of the tower is loose. Probably the "diamond" (90 deg bolts with threads on one end and an eye on the other that fit together to hold the dovetails of the tower together). The wheel wobbles like it does because the spokes are not overlapped correctly. I would turn it off and go up and look at it on a less windy day. Also, as I went up the tower I would take the time to check each and every nut/bolt and make sure that they are tight. With that wobble, it could be slowly shaking the tower apart by loosening all the nuts/bolts.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

It's not a high quality vid but the wobble looks independent of the motor. If that is the case and the pump rod isnt going up and down, then if a 602 the hub shaft is broken next to the hub or if 702 hub is loose on the shaft. Either scenario the oil collecotor holds the wheel on for awhile. They are hard to shut down because the hub goes all over the place on the brake band.

If your pump rod is going up and down, then there are many more scenarios:
mast base broken or missing bolts or threads worn
tower clamp loose or notches worn
broken stem (pump rod holding upright)
pivot of motor case worn oblong
broken or stripped spokes
anything that can fail, will

A 40' tower, the lower X braces are in the longest set of 3 holes. A 47 or 53 tower only has two hole X braces with 53 being in the longest holes. I have set and lowered 8x53 mill and towers with just a 40' mast height pump hoist truck

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO