Leaking 702

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Merlinn

Leaking 702

Post by Merlinn »

Well, last summer I was able to raise my A702 mill. It was doing just fine until I noticed oil running down the tower legs! Seems to be running down the mast and down the legs. Nothing coming out the snout. I never put the pump rod in. Not sure how much oil I put in it. I think 2 quarts. If I put 3 in, could that be the problem? I haven’t climbed up to check the oil level. Any ideas?
Too much oil..
Pump rod missing..
Crack in casting?
Thanks in advance.
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
Ron Stauffer

Re: Leaking 702

Post by Ron Stauffer »

If there is oil on the outside of the case starting at the bottom of the hood, then you need to look at the helmet being properly seated and/or inner lip intact and sealed. If you are good there, then make sure your mast pipe washer is concave down and centered so that it is not touching or too close for the large gears to pick up oil. Adding a pump rod may help but I add them as insurance if the mast breaks anyway. The most likely source of the leakage is a worn mast/case and cleaning up the motor too good. We put heavy grease on the stem before installing a mill and that seems to help. I know others have altered the oiling hole for the mast swivel in the case with a wood match stick or a roll pin to reduce the amount of oil.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

Thanks, Ron. I will have to climb up and check it out. The helmet is not leaking. I don’t remember the washer. I might not have had one and didn’t install it! I also might have used a flat washer without the concave. I did grease the heck out of the mast. It just pisses me off that my tower is now black instead of nice shiny metal.😫
windybob

Post by windybob »

I know the feeling. Sounds like the pumprod needs installed. If it's not, then the crosshead will tilt, and the oil will run down the mastpipe. I don't run a rod in my personal mill, I brazed the mastpipe nut over to shed oil if the crosshead gets tilted.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

Thanks, Windy. I think it is more about the washer I used because the oil is running down the outside of the mast. I think the oil is getting past the nut and washer, down between the inside of the motor and the post, then down the exposed mast and onto the tower. If it was leaking down through the hole in the nut, the exposed part of the mast would should be clean, right? Or am I missing something?
When my rotator cuff heals and I feel safe about climbing up there, I will solve the mystery!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

I installed my X702 on 27ft tower and within a few weeks I had the same oil issue. So, I called Windy and he reminded me that the pump rod needed to be installed. The pump rod helps keep the yoke straight and not dripping oil down the mast pipe. That solved my problem after I installed the pump rod and I made sure the umbrella washer was installed correctly too.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windybob to the rescue again !
those old seasoned guys sure are smart.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Old? Check!
Seasoned? Check!
Guy? check!
Smart? ....................lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

LOL, between Ron & Windybob there is not too much they don't know or have an answer for.
Thank you both for always being willing to help others