Fairbanks Morse Model 45 pitman arm pins

......when you need to get in the weeds.
FlJet

Fairbanks Morse Model 45 pitman arm pins

Post by FlJet »

I have a thread in projects documenting my mill rebuild. But this item is weird and I’m hoping a new thread might grab some attention instead of being lost in the mix.

So last night I decided I needed to deal with the wear on my pitman arm pins before I put my mill on the tower. I’m eager to get this installed, but don’t want to be foolish. I though about just spinning the pins 180 so they would wear on the opposite side, but when I knocked the pins out of the arms I see they are machined offset. The side of the pine with the hole goes in the pitman arm and is pinned in place.

Was this sloppy machine work? Both pins are like this. Can I roll them 180? If I make new ones do I need the same offset? The offset makes things shorter by maybe 1/16”. Curious if this is a design feature with a purpose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlJet

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45 pitman arm pins

Post by FlJet »

Nevermind. 😆. I was looking at this wrong. Not machined offset. Worn on one side. I’ll either make new ones or flip these 180. Just needed some more coffee.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

I think the off set that you are seeing is the amount of wear that is on one side of the pin. Look at the end of the pin and that is how much it has worn.I have seen my share of pins and and made a few and have not seen one that is offset. Make sure the press in part is made the right diameter so it doesn't bust the pitman.It looks like they cut groves in that part to press it in with less pressure and pined it to keep it from turning.You might be OK to turn it 180 but then you would need to drill a new hole in the pin and you would still have slop in the pitman hole that way.Make A New Pin! Replace the groves with a knurl if you have a knurler.
Check the hole in the pitman. If egg shaped you might get by with drilling it out round with a larger pitman pin. You may have to drill the pitman hole larger for a brass bushing or a cast iron (better) bushing.Press fit or Loc tite it in.Very short pin will only wear groves in the pin (OK).

Do it right so NO trouble later.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

New pins in the plan. For as little trouble as they’ll be to make, and the peace of mind they’ll provide, it’s well worth it. Handing thought about knurling it. And I was wanting a knurler For another project. Now I have two projects that “need” it. 😁 thanks!