Aermotor 3-Leg Stub

......when you need to get in the weeds.
hwy8

Aermotor 3-Leg Stub

Post by hwy8 »

I couldn't resist and I bought the A702 with the 723 hub. It is already apart and almost completely degreased.

It came with a three-legged mast pipe and casting but no legs. I've only had 4-legged projects so I'm wondering: If I have 4-legged stub legs in my spare parts, can I just use three of the legs or does the casting have a different angle than 90º? I located a 8', 3-legged tower top and whatever make it is, it definitely has legs that are NOT 90 degrees. I wonder if the Aermotor casting would work.

(By the way, my hands got much worse in the process! I always used to marvel at how a 90+ year old friend of mine could work so neatly. I swear he could overhaul a D-9 Cat while wearing a white tuxedo and he would end the day absolutely spotless! He worked effortlessly as if he was a surgeon, and I can barely put my tools away; he was always an inspiration)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Aermotor 3-Leg Stub

Post by Wayne »

3 leg angle iron is 75 degree bend not 90.So the castings would be built to match. I know what you mean about getting greasy. I can walk by something with grease on it, never touch it, but look and I have grease somewhere.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

I bought my 3 leg stub tower from Dakota Windmill supply.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Measure the angle on the base of the mast pipe. That will tell you what the Aermotor uses.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

can I just use three of the legs or does the casting have a different angle than 90º? I located a 8', 3-legged tower top and whatever make it is, it definitely has legs that are NOT 90 degrees. I wonder if the Aermotor casting would work.
No, the notches are totally different on a 3 post and they utilize 2 tower clamps with no long bolts AND there is a specific furl lever for the 3 post.

All Aermotor standardized towers in 3 or 4 post were 90 degree angle. They tweaked the girt ends instead. You can take two large crescent wrenches and adjust the Aermotor 90 stub angles to a 75 non Aer tower.

The tower spread angle on an Aermotor 3 post is different than a 4. The spread at tower base of a 27' 3 leg is 6' 9.75" and for a 4 post 27' is 5' 6.75".

3 post.jpg
Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Your pile of stuff is far better than mine! I buy windmill stuff when I run across it even if I don't know how, or when I'll use it. This afternoon I looked in my "spare parts" bins and found these three legs, an "A" mast pipe casting, and what seems to be a three-legged tower clamp. As for the legs, I wasn't even sure of the brand or for what size of machine.

After seeing your photo, I see the example with numerous notches and I'm confident that I've at least got an Aermotor part. I bolted up the casting and it fits into the corner but when I tried the second leg, it became obvious that those 3" legs are for a bigger casting/machine than my 8'.

So what do I have here? I'm guessing it is an adapter from 90 degrees to a 75. Also, I'm guessing that 3" angle is for at least a ten foot machine, probably more.

Have I got an Aermotor clamp?

Burt
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Burt
As a general rule, 3 post corner angle in Aermotor was one size bigger mill than the 4 post. 3 post for an 8' was 2.5" angle, 3 post for a 10' was 3" angle, and so on. If your mast base holes are 16" from the top, then it is definitely for a 10'.

The crimp on your stub angles to adapt to 75 degree corner angle is very uniform. I have 3 sets here that look the same so I am guessing that you could order them that way as I have a couple other sets that maintain 90 degrees entire length.

For your clamp, that is not one I have ever seen as there is not a lot of 3 post that I come across. The two corner blocks on it are Aermotor. The kinked U bolt has the same look/use as the what the normal two other bolts would look like. It appears to have the same OD stock as a 3 post clamp bolt. If the U clamp has Aermotor threads on it, I would call it an early original clamp for a 3 post. There are two sets of clamps on the 3 post and they have different length bolts.

Ron
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ron,

I have a B602 rebuilt, can I use it on a 2.5 inch angle older Aermotor 3 legged 30 ft. tower ok? I was going to cut the top off of tower and use a stub tower that will fit a B602. Thanks

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Jerry
Early as in the 30' trussed tripod tower? Those were overbuilt and I actually did one once without the benefit of a stub. I chopped off the top for it to fit 10' mast and then had to put corner holes in for the second bottom clamp and the mast base. This is what it looked like

3 leg 007.JPG

Ron
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:41 am Jerry
Early as in the 30' trussed tripod tower? Those were overbuilt and I actually did one once without the benefit of a stub. I chopped off the top for it to fit 10' mast and then had to put corner holes in for the second bottom clamp and the mast base. This is what it looked like

3 leg 007.JPG

Ron
Here is my tower I want to use for a b602, 2.5 inch angle. Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864