Why 32V?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: Why 32V?

Post by Wayne »

My Motto is 110 doesn't kill you it makes you hurt yourself when you jerk away. Had asmall AC powered trouble light it had like a Christmas tree bulb in it. Was looking down inside a Cash Register it was two wire and one side had a small break in the cover and I touched my lip to the break. We did a jig for a spell then got the black tape out.I've got a Ford 8N 6 volt of course somebody said put a 8 volt battery on it and will solve your starting problems it did, plus the generator puts out enough to keep that 8 volt charged.
jacobs

Post by jacobs »

I've been shocked many times by both 120 vdc and 144 vdc. In my opinion it's about the same as 120 vac. Doesn't hurt, just makes you jump a little.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Amps are what kills you. Amps depend on what is in the circuit that is energized.and/or how well you are grounded. it takes only a minimum of amps going through the body to kill you if it travels through the heart.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

pcowley wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:25 pm Amps are what kills you. Amps depend on what is in the circuit that is energized.and/or how well you are grounded. it takes only a minimum of amps going through the body to kill you if it travels through the heart.
Very true. I bought a "Fido-Shocker" to keep my dogs from digging out or jumping the fence. I measured the voltage and it was 800 VAC. The amperage was low. It really got your attention though.

Bryon
windybob

Post by windybob »

I always thought it was the amps not the voltage. Guess the amps are the push behind the volts. (?)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Windybob,
You are all most as close as you can get. In a way it is the push. Volts times amps equals watts. Amps is the resistance in a object that uses electricity. The reason a light bulb puts out light is because the wire in it doesn't carry electricity very well. A good example of amps is in a battery. The more amps you can get out of it is determined by what kind of electrodes it has. A high amp rated car battery will have a higher content of lead.A battery that last a long time will have less lead and more other metals which doesn't conduct amps very well ,but will probably have less starting amps. It is a trade off. You want more amps or longer lasting. The best practical example is an electric toaster. High resistant wire gets hot ,uses amps, but you get toast. A toaster you put better conducting copper wire in uses less amps but you don't get toast.

Paul C
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
jacobs

Post by jacobs »

Bryon wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:57 am
pcowley wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:25 pm Amps are what kills you. Amps depend on what is in the circuit that is energized.and/or how well you are grounded. it takes only a minimum of amps going through the body to kill you if it travels through the heart.
Very true. I bought a "Fido-Shocker" to keep my dogs from digging out or jumping the fence. I measured the voltage and it was 800 VAC. The amperage was low. It really got your attention though.

Bryon
One time about 60 years ago I was working inside an old black & white television and touched the high voltage anode on the side of the picture tube. At about 15,000 volts that will get your attention. It literally left a bitter taste in my mouth that lasted several hours.

My wife has gotten zapped by our low impedance cattle fence charger. I've measured it's voltage at 7,000 volts which is probably similar to the ignition voltage on most modern automobiles.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes I have some gas engines that use the old buss coils and can't count the number of times when working on one of them that I've had my light bulb turned on. It has a whole lots more jolt than 110 ac. I have an electric fence charger made out of one from the 20's says it will do a 12 mile fence with a 6volt battery and good ground.