WindPower 2.5kw pictures

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
WisJim

WindPower 2.5kw pictures

Post by WisJim »

While going through old correspondence, magazines, and photos I found a couple of pictures of Wind Power 2500 watt generators that I took back in the 1970s. Some are of a generator belonging to Roland Coulson of Ankeny, IA, in 1976, and the color one is of my generator at Tomah WI around 1977 or 78, with my oldest son playing in the foreground. Sorry about the condition of the color picture, but I couldn't find a better print.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wind Charger Mike

Re: WindPower 2.5kw pictures

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Great pictures Jim, thanks for sharing. I’ve heard a few stories about Roland Coulson and his amazing wind generator collection. Heard he kept hand guns and live hand grenades strategically located in his shop. Also heard about him hunting down guys from Arkansas that stole some machines from him. Sounds like he was quite the bad ass, ex military special ops I believe. Died in a plane crash in Arizona in the 80s?
WisJim

Re: WindPower 2.5kw pictures

Post by WisJim »

Yes, Roland was quite a guy. The stories you mention are true, as far as I know. We got our first set of used phone company batteries from him and used them for years. I still have the 850 Delco engine generator that I got from him in the 1970s. His WindPower was on a 120 foot guyed tower. He was working on a much bigger turbine and I may have pictures of it somewhere. Yes, he died in a plane crash, I'm not sure just when in the 80s.