Battery plates

Share and discuss your vintage wind generator related projects.
Mike Hage

Re: Battery plates

Post by Mike Hage »

I've got to find that old man again it would be even neat to have the whole row of batteries there even empty just for display. There is a whole generation now including myself that has never lived without power. It wasnt until the mid 50s out here in rural Saskatchewan
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

At the show in Portland In. There is a man who has a set up with a Delco light plant. He has several things running on electricity. An old woman churning butter, an old man he calls woody sawing wood, He gives you a piece with the name Woody and the year. I have one from 2012,2016 and 2019. Didn't go last year hope to this year. In 2019 there was a trailer dedicated to batteries and light plants. Might get info from them if you could make the show.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Years ago, I had a friend that wanted me to come over, and check out something in his basement. When I did, he had a bank of maybe 10 or 12 batteries, all the bussbars, and a generator there. They were clear batteries not the green colored ones. I knew they were very cool, and asked him what he was going to do with them. They are all in poor shape. He said I could have them all, but not the gen. Well, life got in the way, and by the time I got around to going after them all, he changed his mind. I lost rack of him, and to this day, I will assume the old house he lived in is either bulldozed down, in a hole covered up, or still sitting there. That's when I learned the hard way that when someone says you can have it, you better get it while the getting's good. I had a plan to gut them, etch my logo on them, and sell them as cookie jars.
Memory plant.... Change or clean the air filter in your air compressor! Mine runs 1/4 as much, and tools run better.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sounds like you need to make a mold and pour them to the size you need. I would guess that's how the originals were made?
Gregg
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy that's probably not the only story you have like that. Been there and done that.
WisJim

Post by WisJim »

We lived off grid with a 32 volt battery system back in the 1970s-80s. I used telephone company batteries, 1680 and 840 amp hour strings plus some smaller sets. We had vacuum cleaner, waffle iron, toaster, drills, lots of motors 1/6 to 1/2 hp, radio, iron, fans, mixer, hand grinder and probably other stuff I don't recall. Also a small 100 watt motor generator style inverter. I still have some light bulbs, an iron and a rough toaster. I've sold most everything else over the years. Still have a couple of the wind generators and a Delco light plant that I consider selling.