Classic Jacobs Wind Electric Tower Question?

......when you need to get in the weeds
wildman

Classic Jacobs Wind Electric Tower Question?

Post by wildman »

I have a 70 foot, four-legged, wind turbine tower which supposedly supported a classic Jacobs Wind Electric wind turbine (note: the tower top definitely has the correct hole pattern for a Jake tower cap and lower collector casting). Since I didn't dis-assemble this tower originally, I have some questions about the purpose of the pictured components:

1) What is the purpose of the "Hook Strap"? There are two hook straps mounted to only one "Hook Strap_Horiz. Member" per horizontal structure support level.

2) What is the purpose of the "Plain Strap"? There are two plain straps mounted to three "Plain Strap_Horiz. Member" per horizontal structure support level.

I would appreciate a photo or a drawing of how these two components are to be properly utilized.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TipTop

Re: Classic Jacobs Wind Electric Tower Question?

Post by TipTop »

Hi Wild, I have installed two DC Jacobs of my own and never seen such clips, but I know after installing the tower, some of the flat cross braces will likely need to be bowed a little to take the slack out of them (in fact it seems like some of the horizontal angle braces have some drilled holes to secure them together as needed). My personal experience started in 1980, so I've forgotten a lot.
windmillerman

Re: Classic Jacobs Wind Electric Tower Question?

Post by windmillerman »

looks like one pulls horizontal in, other holds it apart