Identify

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of wind generator you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
txrounder

Identify

Post by txrounder »

[attachment=0]20210926_171423.jpg[/attachment

Picked this little guy up at a garage sale.
Can anyone help with a make or model ID and where to start?
6' tall
Approx 64" wooden prop blade.
6v, 12v?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Identify

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Wincharger Mike has a website I'm sure he can help you
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

It’s an early 6v Parris Dunn, made in Clarinda, IA, ca 1935. Often the tail graphics said Dunn Charger but the graphics varied depending on where it was sold. Nice find, rare to find them complete and original condition.
https://wincharger.com/index.php/promos/advertising
E0031E6D-3693-43BB-BA20-7EEF03E3E856.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
txrounder

Post by txrounder »

Thanks so much. I was hoping it was 12v and that I might get it it up and going and tie it into my solar well pump on the "back forty", but 6v wouldn't help.
Somewhere I have a Wincharger 6v control panel as well.
Wind Charger Mike

You might could squeeze 12v out of it if you’re in an above average wind area. The dc generator is self excited so voltage is a function of rpm squared so roughly 40% more prop speed would get you there. Then again the generator is only rated for a peak output of 100w, maybe 20w on average. 20w meant a lot more to folks 90 years ago that had no other source of electricity. Let us know if you get it running.
Wind Charger Mike

You might could squeeze 12v out of it if you’re in an above average wind area. The dc generator is self excited, voltage is a function of rpm squared so roughly 40% more prop speed would get you there. Then again the generator is only rated for a peak output of 100w, maybe 20w on average. 20w meant a lot more to folks 90 years ago that had no other source of electricity. Let us know if you get it running.
txrounder

Post by txrounder »

I may try to get it running but the big problem is the prop. I've got about half of it but don't know how to go about a replacement.
Wind Charger Mike

There’s a few posts on the Wincharger forum under restoration tips for making props. I make props occasionally using a cnc router, I don’t have any at the moment. Others hand carve/sand props with great results. Keep an eye on eBay for NOS props. You can use a Wincharger prop, just need to modify the mount holes slightly.
txrounder

Post by txrounder »

Do you know what size I would be looking for?
I have only 1/2(31"r, 3/4" thick at center mtg), but I don't know how much might be be weathered away at the tip as It's extremely light and weathered.
Wind Charger Mike

I believe they were 66” props.