learned how to pour babbitt

Experiences distilled from a project that should be actively taken into account in future projects.
Wayne

Re: learned how to pour babbitt

Post by Wayne »

Thanks. Right now the project is still on the drawing board.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Very nice Mike ... fun aint it? It can be frustrating, but it is certainly satisfying when done. So far, the only bearing I hate pouring (because I don't have a decent jig) is the bearing for the big gear on a 602.

My folks used to be snow-birds in New Braunfels. But then they switched to Fla full time, never understood that decision.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

Mister Ed wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:53 pm I hate pouring (because I don't have a decent jig) is the bearing for the big gear on a 602.

Which one? the left one or the right one? :?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Right? Left?

The boss (or whatever you want to call it) that the 602 big gears ride on ... right smack in the center of the gearbox.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

I know. Just yankin yur winch line.

Use a set of old gears, and cut the gear off, leaving the center parts, and about an inch of the gear around the shafts. If I remember, I'll post some pics of my set-up.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh, I call that the pedastal.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

windybob wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 pm I know. Just yankin yur winch line.

Use a set of old gears, and cut the gear off, leaving the center parts, and about an inch of the gear around the shafts. If I remember, I'll post some pics of my set-up.
LOL, Pedestal works too.

I have a set of gears like you describe. My biggest issue is a good means of holding and centering them. I was hoping to borrow Todd's jig this summer and do a few cases ... but never had the time. I've not seen his jig (hmmm that don't sound right :o ), but knowing he is a real machinist its probably pretty slick.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yeah. I'll post mine anyway. When he shows his, it will make mine look silly, but heck i"m used to being embarrassed.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

attached photos of finished project, well almost finished.
#13 babbitt arrived UPS today, Windybob had the perfect answer to make babbitt not stick where its not wanted.
wrapped the fixture in my jig with bakers parchment paper, worked GREAT ! apply 2 or 3 or 4 wraps of paper depending how much bearing clearance is needed. stuff doesnt burn.
got so excited with the beautiful pours i forgot to take photos of each bearing separately but the assmbled product works great. even more excited to this up in the air !
Mike Blahnik
New Braunfels tX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Hmm, never thought about parchment paper. I have used paper grocery sacks when I needed more clearence. I normally just use acetylene soot.
Thanks,
Ed