Very Early #12 Dempster

Need something? Post your request here.
windybob

Very Early #12 Dempster

Post by windybob »

I have an 8 ft #12 Dempster that must one of the very first made, in the 20's. I does NOT look like the customary #12 that we all came to know and love. LOL

I brought it to the shop to start on pretty soon, and I will post pictures (I think)

I have no information on this first model of self-oiling #12 mill. If anyone has any, I would appreciate a looksie. The shaft wore through, and I don't have the hub, and maybe a few other parts. Don't have a brake either, if it even had one.

Oh,( hint)...it has 2 side shafts for the bullgears. Large bolt on each side of the case, so I'm guessing a center pitman. HAHA didn't even take the helmet off yet, I've had it for at least 10 years.

Thanks!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Re: Very Early #12 Dempster

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

windybob
That is a Dempster. They have one at the Wind Power Center in Lubbock. It is in the pit in the old building. I don't have anything on it, but if Eddie reads this he might take some pictures of it and post them here or send them to you. If I could get out and around you would have them today.If I remember correctly ,everything is the same as a regular #12 except for the way the large gears are mounted.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks Paul! Been holding out on restoring it, by when I saw it the other day, I figured I better get a start on it. Excitement is building.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Windy, troy gave one to Grezmonki a few weeks ago I think it might have been just the motor case it was marked number 12 but had unusual differences the hood appeared to fasten from the sides
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yep. There are hooks on the head. It says underneath it's an 8 ft #12. But it only resembles one like we all work on nowadays.
LAst time I talked to Troy, he was about done with mills. ( for the 3rd time) LOL
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I thought I read somewhere that when they first built the 12 it wasn't what they had hoped for and so they upgraded it and it then became the 12A. Or maybe it was in a dream during a nap.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy does your mill have babbitt or roller bearings. The windmillers bible says they started with the 12 in 1922 with babbitt and then for a short time built the roller bearing model. Then in 1925 built a timken roller bearing model then in 1931 they introuduced an improved model 12A. So there you have it.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne the 12-A is a whole different animal. However the #12 was indeed upgraded at least 3 times with major improvements. Actually the 12-B was the latest rendition, with minor modifications. No relation to the 12-A.

Don't know what bearings are in it. Helmet is still on. lol Will know more next week, if the heat don't kill me first. 105 today with huge humidity. They say it will actually get hot tomorrow and monday. Holy cow.
Smax

Post by Smax »

no way Troy can get windmills out of his blood lol
Smax

Post by Smax »

Looking forward to seeing your early model 12