gregguy

Need 1903/5 Aermotor Crank Pin #23

Post by gregguy »

Purchase or short term loan, thanks
gregguy

Re: Need 1903/5 Aermotor Crank Pin #23

Post by gregguy »

Need 1903/5 Aermotor Crank Pin #23

Outright purchase or short term loan for reverse engineering. (OK, copy)

Please let me know if you have other 1903/5 parts or documentation.

Have the basic brochure and parts diagram.

Thanks
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Do you just need the measurements on the crankpin? I made one ... have the old one in my parts someplace. What else are you looking for? Which particular mill do you have? I also have a jig to pour bearings sleeves the the A2 main-casting (non RA models).

Oh, and what size? I have 8'.
Thanks,
Ed
gregguy

Post by gregguy »

Best I can determine it's an 8ft. 1903. (It has removable bearing or shafts for mill and drive gear)
Had the A2 body line bored and then my son make new custom bronze bushings.
Never knew about pouring them. Now to the crank pin, just recently learned the thread used was unusual.
Is your old pin around? Could it be used with a custom bearing. Need to not overload my son, so at this point I'm trying encourage him to just bore out the gear and turn a custom pin as the connecting rod will need a new bearing also. Need the rod that drives the brake. Figure I can bend one. Best Yard Art Ever!
windybob

Post by windybob »

My 1903 has replaceable bearings, the slide-in kind. I'm trying to remember if I made a jig to pour new ones, or just poured new ones in the mainframe. Man, I can't remember anything lately. I think I did the latter. I do remember pouring Dandy bearings in a fixture though. Sent several to Allan Reinke years ago. I will attempt to remember to look for a fixture I might have made for the 1903 model.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Windy - I believe you poured the babbitt in place. I made an oversized jig for mine (used material on hand) and turned it down on my old lathe. I remember us having this discussion on the old forum when I was posting build pics.

gregguy - I have a pin in hand. It is not usable, I just saved it for reference. It does have 3/4-10 left hand threads. I can send measurements and pics if you need. Or I suppose I could make one up. Sounds like your old pin is still screwed into the gear? Heat and realizing its a left hand thread are your friend. That old pitman arm will have babbitt bearings around the pin. As you heat the gear, just keep in mind the babbitt will melt and run out. Once you have it apart, its actually pretty easy to pour new babbitt into the pitman. Although I suppose bronze bushing would work as well.

As far as the brake rod ... Oh yeah that reminds me ... I still need to make one for mine (its only been up 3 years, LOL). I should have some pics ... if you need them.

Post up some pics. We would like to see your mill. A2 main casting was used on a couple of Aermotor mills ... it was used on the 1897 "Bell Hub" and the 1903 Non-RA (at least that's what I call it). And you are correct, A2 would be for an 8' mill.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

thanks for helping me to remember!
gregguy

Post by gregguy »

Mister Ed, thanks for the quick reply.
I don't have a bolt.
Turns out of the 3 lift positions on my gear the higher lift threads might work fine.
As if left is not weird enough, I heard it was a WHITWORTH thread. Whatever that is.
If there is any chance you could make me one that would be great.
Would love to take some load off my son who machines all day and then gets to turn to Dad's windmill.
Don't really know the process but if you could reach out privately we can talk about your compensation.

Thanks for your consideration....greg
windybob

Post by windybob »

Dan B has parts for these mills also. I got rods, a brake, and a few other things from him.
Windmillsrus

Post by Windmillsrus »

I have those crank pins in stock if you’re still looking for one.