Woodmanse 1910 oilbath windmill parts

Need something? Post your request here.
Georgie

Woodmanse 1910 oilbath windmill parts

Post by Georgie »

Hi there I’m actually new on here and looking at buying a Woodmanse windmill. The gearbox doesn’t have its cover and is cracked therefore wind hold grease/oil. My guess is that it got water in and froze somewhere down the line. So I’m in search of a gear box. The fan also doesn’t have its arms that attach to the gear box. Fan is 10’ diameter and in tact, just doesn't have what attaches to gear box. Sorry for not right terminology, new here. But in market for windmill for our farm in Montana, don’t need a working pump, just for spinning in the wind! and have come across this particular one. Anyone have any leads? Thanks in advance!
Chad
Chadgeorgell@gmail.com
425-281-6626
Wayne

Re: Woodmanse 1910 oilbath windmill parts

Post by Wayne »

Do you have any pictures you could post to help ID what model you might have?
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Yes I will post some up to get better idea! Thanks a bunch
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Here are some photos. Anyone have any ideas? Again, just trying to get it to spin with the wind. Don’t need it to work the pump!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Here’s a couple more, this is the fan that need to figure out how to attach to the gearbox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here's my take.

Gearbox is broken, some missing. If it won't hold oil, it won't last. The shaft coming out the front rides on bearings that need oil. Then there is a missing hub that mounts on that shaft that the fan (actually wheel) bolts to. There should be 6 arms that bolt within the wheel, that bolt the wheel to the hub.

The wheel is awesome. Look for a good head to put it on. I don't think the head you have is worth messing with.
Oh,. Woodmanse did not have a self oiling head in 1910, the first one was much later in the teens. That appears to be a model G.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Ok thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on what to do/how to get it up and running? Very new to the field of windmills but trying to get it up and spinning in the wind. Again don’t need it to pump or anything!
Also looking for something to make it work, even if it wasn’t the right gearbox. (If that is even possible). Looking for some expert guidance! thanks again!
Chad
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

There is an internal gear on the shaft inside the big gear at the bottom. It is hard to see. There could be something lodged in the bottom against the two gears that won't let it spin. First thing is tho without the arms and hub your not going to make it do what you want. There is a ebay windmill parts site that might have the arms or Dan Benjamin is a good source he might have a hub or a complete head that works.
Georgie

Post by Georgie »

Thank you for the info! I’ll look into that!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Probably get another case, and or head, some wheel arms, and a tail.

Oh, in 1923 Woodmanse came out with the first self-oiler, the book says.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.