well water pumps

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
mtblah

well water pumps

Post by mtblah »

Most of you remember late last fall there was a long thread about well pumps under the windmills.
Lots of pretty and interesting pumps.
I have an Oskosh pump with a John Deere pump jack, and have been looking for a John Deere engine to mount on the frame.
Well, today i found the engine.
Paid too much , but that's John Deere anything.
Any idea what the side casting "40-38 " may mean ?
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: well water pumps

Post by Wayne »

I don't think it has anything to do with a date. They started building that model in 1923 and was probably done by 1940. You can go to Smokstak.com. It has all kinds of forums. There will be one about John Deere engines. Did you get the mag and ignitor with it? Looks pretty big, 3 or 6 hp? You may find out,when all is said and done you will wish you may bought one already running. I know from first hand experience, they can become money pits.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Wayne, you are right !
1 1/2 HP, has a 3.5 " piston, no mag, no igniter, holding hard onto my wallet & trying to catch my breath.
Parts found on line & reproduced, pricey, real pricey, really really pricey !
as you say, money pit, but cool.
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Your Right. Never had a John Deere. I'm a IHC fan, have some F&M's, my first was a 7 HP 1914 Economy. Worked on a 1 1/2 John Deere for a guy once. Never did figure out the ignitor, Magneto, operation. They are like an IHC M with the gas tank in the base. Does yours have the fuel line coming off the mixer going into the gas tank? If it does if you don't know there is a check valve at the end of the line in the tank. It will need to be taken out and cleaned. Any time any engines set for awhile the check valve get stuck. Good Luck
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Most farm elevators used 3hp models, I still have one on my grandfather's. They are pretty nice engines, I have the 1 1/2 also they used on cream separators and such. Finding the 6hp is the hard one.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You can find them but you had better have deep pockets.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

finished product . do not ask how much $$$$$$$
but it sure is cute .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Great Job! :D