Grease or Oil Type

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
mmacpher

Grease or Oil Type

Post by mmacpher »

I could use advice, I’m starting to see light at the end of the tunnel on my windmill project. When I’m done; what type of oil (or grease?) should go into these reservoirs? My apologies if I am using the wrong word! Note I will make covers for these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Grease or Oil Type

Post by windybob »

Does that have the twisted wire oilers? Is that a Dandy? Can you post a shot of the inside of the reservoir?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mmacpher

Post by mmacpher »

Sorry for the delay, here are some updated pictures. It is an old Montgomery Ward clipper.
Top Bearing.jpg
Bearing withut Babbit.jpeg
Windmill Block with Bushing.jpeg
The last picture is of the rear bearing where I pushed in a Bronze Bearing with some bearing locker. The front bearing I will pour with Babbit as the shaft is worn some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks! My thoughts are this.....I believe they made a grease that had a point of getting really soft as the shaft turned, thus lubricating. Dempster had a brass pin that rode on a shaft up to the grease cup that transfered a little heat to melt the grease. I don't know of a grease that has a low melting point. But if you filled the pocket up, at least you would have something to last for a while.

What I have done in cases like yours is to install a zerk to manually grease the area. You could tap you brass and install one there, plus it would keep it from turning in the bore. In the babbitt bearings, you could do the same, or lock in a zerk with some JB weld. Don't forget a small hole going to the shaft.

Also, remember that if the mill runs very much, it needs to be serviced once a week or so. Yes, it's a pain.
mmacpher

Post by mmacpher »

Thanks for the feedback. I built little covers for them. I was once suggested to pack the area with a long course fiber (something like wool or horse hair), then fill them with a heavier oil with the thought that it weeps it in slower. What are you thoughts on that? If yes, would a 90W gear oil work?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have never experimented on that idea. This may be one of those things that you just trial and error thing. If you can set it up outside on a workstand or something, while it spinning in the wind you can try different things. There is also lithium grease. I use it in the spray can, seems kind of runny.

I would be interested in knowing what you find out, especially if you have good success.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If you don't care about originality zerks are the way to go i had to do that on one of my mill's.it lasts for months.or you could use kerosene wick in the holes and try 40wt oil
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

mmacpher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm Thanks for the feedback. I built little covers for them. I was once suggested to pack the area with a long course fiber (something like wool or horse hair), then fill them with a heavier oil with the thought that it weeps it in slower. What are you thoughts on that? If yes, would a 90W gear oil work?
That is exactly the directions for F&W Star 12. They have similar cups to your photos.
windybob wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:29 am Thanks! My thoughts are this.....I believe they made a grease that had a point of getting really soft as the shaft turned, thus lubricating.
Grease comes in different grades/consistencies. A 000 or 00 grade grease flows pretty well (for grease). 000 is actually hard to keep in a tube in hot weather. This can commonly be bought as corn head or cotton picker grease (I have seen both in 00 & 000). It's also used in many mower & brush hog gear boxes.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

I see that information is coming forth! Good stuff to know.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

I would look into the corn head picker grease that is 00. We use it in a lot of gear boxes on the farm bushhogs to post hole diggers. JD dealers is a good place to pickup some. They always have it in stock around here. I hate to say it but I know of several Aermotor 602's and 702's that are running every summer pumping water for cattle in pastures on a mixture of oil and corn head picker grease as the landlords don't want to spend any money on getting them repair. Not something I think is a good idea but its been working for years.