Jacobs Flyball Governor Weight?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
doubledipsoon

Jacobs Flyball Governor Weight?

Post by doubledipsoon »

Hello all, I'm considering a Jacobs "flyball governor" over a Jacobs "blade-actuated" governor- does anyone know the real pros and cons of each? And one last question- what is the total weight of a "flyball governor"? (picture #1)
JakeCheap3 (Small).jpg
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Jacobs Flyball Governor Weight?

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

The blade actuated governor invented by Marcellus' brother Joseph, was considered a major technological advancement over the flyweight governor. It had less moving parts, stainless steel construction and the claim was that it never required maintenance. For Jacobs to replace what was up to that point the most reliable, bullet proof governor on the market with the blade actuated version, it must have been a significant improvement. Probably was much less expensive to manufacture too. I like the flyweight design but it does require periodic greasing to keep the gears from wearing out. I don't have one not attached to a machine at the moment to weigh but I'd guess they're around 60 lbs.