Friend with alkaline water

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Friend with alkaline water

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I got a friend who is trying to find a filter to make his water taste better, its safe but not very tasty. Where I live nobody has this issue so I have never tried sand filters or anything for it. Anyone got a suggestion? Thanks
Wayne

Re: Friend with alkaline water

Post by Wayne »

I'd look to people that drill and install water systems. Had a friend that the installer had to put filters on his new well to make it drinkable. More than one.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Aaron
Carbon sediment filters will take care of sulfur and iron taste/smell not sure what effect on alkalinity. They would be an easy try.

This is what google tells you:
Carbon filters remove sediment but they also remove chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), odors and unpleasant tastes from water.

Before I went to a softener, I used a charcoal sediment filter to reduce the iron taste of my water. But I still had the hardness so eventually went the route of a softener

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

We have bad water in my area sulfur, iron, hardness. I run filters and a softer and still haul drinking water in my water won't kill you but its doesn't taste very nice. I would use the state lab to find the true numbers on his water and then size the filters to that. If your filters are too small they will be plugged all the time. I had to install commercial sized filters ahead of my softener to keep from having low flow water all the time.