Jacobs Part?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of wind generator you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
hwy8

Jacobs Part?

Post by hwy8 »

IMG_3483.jpeg
I just brought home some Jacobs generators, etc. and found this: I've had one before in a pile of Jacobs stuff but still don't know what it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Jacobs Part?

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I don’t recognize it or see it in any early parts diagrams. Maybe from from one of the later models?
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I wrote to the fellow that took the machine down from the tower in the 70's and this was his reply:
"I think that part connects to the chain that is used to turn the tail sideways to turn the generator out of a high wind. That part, a spring, serves like a shock absorber."

(Burt) I'm wondering if it keeps the slack out of the chain up on the "barrel" part of the machine when the tail is winched into the "off" position?
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Could be a cable or chain de-slacker or a means to maintain a constant tension so you don’t overload the yaw post bearing. Some Winchargers had those. If that’s a spring I’m seeing in the picture, it doesn’t look stiff enough for that function. Jacobs were unique among the wind chargers in that it was a “pull in” vs a “pull out” of the wind mechanism. You had to crank the winch in order to turn it on so if the cable broke it would turn off.