Why this etching

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Adobejoe

Why this etching

Post by Adobejoe »

I finally have the large gear removed and can put in the new Babbitt and reinsert gear. It took a bit of solvent, three gear puller and gently tapping but it did slide off. I did not want to crack this bugger. Anyway I noticed the stipple marks and curious why there? Anything
5A0CD958-679B-4502-A937-98A7F5FE0B15.jpeg
beside sanding with some 200 grit before I reassemble?

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Why this etching

Post by windybob »

When you use a punch like that, it raises the metal slightly. Helps the shaft fit tighter in the gear.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

My father once did that to an engine piston hoping to close some of the gap from a worn out cylinder.
Adobejoe

Post by Adobejoe »

Yeah, I have never seen anything like this. There is the through pin that keeps all in line, but this must be extra tightness is all I can imagine. Must of been done at factory, on the Babbitt replacement I saw somewhere to cut a groove with hacksaw blade for lubrication….yes or no? Mt blah, wow interesting!