frozen main shaft

......when you need to get in the weeds.
ken@davidragan.com

Re: frozen main shaft

Post by ken@davidragan.com »

thanks all for the tips. Everything that has been mentioned will help as this is my first rebuild. Still a lot to learn and get done but reading through these forums is a huge help. will surely have more questions in the following days...
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

First things first. You have to get the plug in the hub to the vertical or 12 oclock position to remove the oil collector to get the hub off. So you have to be able to rotate the hub.

If as you say it is in nice condition, this would be evidenced by pitman arms and a saddle bearing that is relatively tight.

The easiest way to get a hub to turn is with the wheel or fan still on and the motor on the mast or similar support pipe. You have more leverage turning at the outer band back and forth. If you are intent in disassembling and need to get the hub to turn, lay the motor down with the hoop as a backer. Put a 36" pipe wrench on the hub close to the outer ring of V holders. Tap on the wrench handle with a small sledge. It will eventually loosen

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
ken@davidragan.com

Post by ken@davidragan.com »

got the main shaft free. just kept adding penetrating oil and tapping the hub lightly. The plug was at the top so I just kept adding oil and working it back and forth. Surprisingly the hub now spins real easy. now for the restoration and assembly. Moving the tower 10 miles this weekend to its new location. Goal is to have all completed by early March including the water tank on the tower I did take a look at the Windmill with a water tank out front of the Hospital in Hawkinsville. Thanks for all of the early responses
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Good luck with your project and keep us updated.Feel free to ask us if you run into a problem.