Duplex Sections

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Wayne

Duplex Sections

Post by Wayne »

Need some opinions. Wondering on which side of the section do you mount this arm The Duplex picture I took at El Dorado the same year I bought my Duplex, so I put my arm on the same side as the end pieces like the picture. The other arm is Chuck's at Tolar the arm is on the side away from the end pieces. Which is right? :D
Duplex 001.jpg
image000000(105).jpg
image000001(55).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry

Re: Duplex Sections

Post by Terry »

Wayne
The dog bones go on the side of the rims as in the first picture. the one with the complete wheel.
That is the way mine is.
Terry
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Terry. That is the way I did mine. Then I saw how Chuck had did his and it got me to wondering because he has been missing with old windmills longer than me. When I take the wheel back to him I cut out I was going to show him the picture. I wanted someone else's opinion before I start given him mine.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Glad to help.
Terry
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

Wayne here is the way I've done mine. To some degree the location of the spreader bar is dictated by the length of the shipper rods. Before I mount the spreader bars I clamp them in place and move the shipped back and forth until I find the location that does not bind and moves freely when the sections are moved back and forth. By doing it this way I also eliminate the need to cut that little crescent shape notch out of the sail nearest to the spreader bar. You can see how the spreader bar is at a bit of an angle and not centered on the section. This works great for me, the windmill pictured has been running flawlessly for 9 1/2 years...
100_5807.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I was wondering about that crescent cut what it's purpose was. My blades have it. They were made by Ralph in Minn. It looks like Chuck's section has it also but don't see it on the picture of the complete mill. Never thought about having the spreader bar at an angle, but I've only put together one. Lots I don't know.
Terry

Post by Terry »

The crescent cut is for clearance of the control rod. Otherwise the rod would hit the blade.