What does everyone use for paint on blades? Looking for that galvanized look again.

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Joshschneids

What does everyone use for paint on blades? Looking for that galvanized look again.

Post by Joshschneids »

Hey guys, in the process of restoring my mill i was debating leaving it or painting it. Looks like it will be painted. Anyways i painted the gearbox etc with paint suggested from the local paint shop and worked excellent. Now i am onto the vane and blades and everything that would have been galvanized from factory. I want opinions on what everyone uses for paint that looks like galvanizing or what silver/ grey they use on the blades and tail etc. I am stumped here. Samples i have gotten from the store are just too aluminum looking and i don’t like it. If anyone can let me know different opinions and paint options that would be amazing. I will attach a couple pics of the painted gearbox and parts just for show. Thanks guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh From Ontario
Dave Straub

Re: What does everyone use for paint on blades? Looking for that galvanized look again.

Post by Dave Straub »

I use Cold Galvanize spray can paint from Rustoleum. It's 93% zinc. Use it for touch up and even a whole wheel. Don't know how long that will last but when dry looks close to original, galvanizing.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: What does everyone use for paint on blades? Looking for that galvanized look again.

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

If I could get it locally I would probably use the cold galv also but shipping cost much more than the paint so I often go to the farm store and buy (usually Van SIckle) aluminum oil base and add a bit of black so it doesn't look like a P-51 on a stick. The VS paint gradually fades and washes off and in 10 years it is basically gone. If you don't like it you can also spray it with gasoline and power wash it off so there really is nothing to loose other than a gallon of paint. Eventually, I want to get a trailer load of my mills and have the sheetmetal hot dipped but its a 300 mile trip and not cheap so its on my later list. Good Luck
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Ditto on the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. Durable stuff. I have been able to find free shipping options when I purchase by the case.
s-l1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Gee I never tried that stuff. Might need to.

Van Sickle Premium Aluminum for me usually. I have messed with pattern-ing it on tails etc. Let the original brush coat almost dry then take a foam brush and dab the heck out of the surface with more paint to give it the galvanized 'spangle' needed.

Is pattern-ing a word? lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

PaulV wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm Ditto on the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. Durable stuff. I have been able to find free shipping options when I purchase by the case.
s-l1000.jpg
I may just have to try this cold galvanizing stuff! I was looking at Rustoleum "Hammered" it gives kinda that splotchy galvanized look like this.
Josh From Ontario
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

PaulV wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm Ditto on the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. Durable stuff. I have been able to find free shipping options when I purchase by the case.
s-l1000.jpg
Paul do you have any pictures of mills you have sprayed with this stuff? Google seems to have no samples just pictures of cans. Josh
Josh From Ontario
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

“ZRC galvanizing compound” seems to have a good amount of positive reviews. Not cheap and apparently heavy as &##$*
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

I use both the cold galvanizing for preservation and Hammered for the look. Hammered needs a careful application scheme to avoid streaks and linear patterns. I find it at Home Depot, Lowes and occasionally at garage and estate sales. A fish oil based primer is highly recommended, too.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Joshschneids wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 pm
s-l1000.jpg
Paul do you have any pictures of mills you have sprayed with this stuff? Google seems to have no samples just pictures of cans. Josh
Josh- I've only needed to use on helmets and towers so far. Not the best pics but maybe you'll get an idea.

Helmet
20170716_162057.jpg
Tower leg.......
IMG_7102.JPG
PaulV