Where do I begin? (Newbie)

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Mike Hage

Re: Where do I begin? (Newbie)

Post by Mike Hage »

I noticed the tower as well Peter. So is that a Toronto mill built by aermotor? I personally would hire a crane, strip the paint off of it and overhaul it completely. Once the head is off one could straighten individually the bent girts, maybe buzz up the platform as well. That's what I would do if it were mine for what it's worth. It's a nice mill I think all the parts are available yet?
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Hi Mike, no it's an Aermotor made in the US. The self oiling Toronto's have a very large hood on them and are different.
squeakymill

Post by squeakymill »

Mike, thanks for the input. Once I get up there and have a chance to check the model numbers and parts availability I'll decide if the whole thing should come down so the kids can paint it or if I can just service it as is. If it's just a spring and some oil and a new vertical piece of wood I'm sure I can get that up there.

In another thread someone mentioned I should not use the platform and I believe windybob mentioned using a chain wrapped around the tower to step on, I will probably cut a hole through the platform and wrap a couple chains to add some steps at the top to do what I need to then replace the platform at a later date.

I'm 99% sure this is just a decorative windmill pumping a decorative pond down a decorative waterfall. Restoring it won't have any benefit to the farm I'm trying to setup other than the aesthetics of it so if I need to spend serious money on it to hire a crane a couple times it will probably get shelved for now. I have barns to build!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will report back once I'm up top and have some new pictures.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Be careful! The chain around the tower is a very quick and always temporary idea to get a 'leg-up' for looking. Safety equipment is mandatory!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

This is how I overcame the “around the platform” difficulties. I still couldn’t reach the bolt on the helmet so later extended the ladder another couple of rungs. Notice the 2 2x2’s on each side of the ladder to keep it from sliding sideways. Problem solved. I also use a safety harness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

I had a hard time attaching this pic. Must be doing something wrong….suggestions welcome!
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Once you get the mill operating you still can pump water the well doesn't have to be under the tower years ago they used a siphon pump under the tower. I'm sure there's a more modern way today and I'm sure someone on this forum that knows