who do I talk to about measurements?

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
hwy8

who do I talk to about measurements?

Post by hwy8 »

I was looking at photos taken at the American Windmill Museum in Lubbock (I hope to visit there someday) and decided that I'd like to build some display stands like they have. Who would I talk to? I wonder if a blue print is available?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: who do I talk to about measurements?

Post by CTXmiller »

Steve Adams and Mark Welch (second wind windmill service of Ft Worth) have made some similar recently. Steve is on the forum, but I’m not sure Mark is. The ones that I’ve seen appear to be about 12 to 14 foot in height.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Isn't Marks business called second wind. It is under the ads. Yes They sale them. Steve's phn num is 682-500-2280.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Thanks for the help! Although I'd rather fabricate them myself, I'll give them a call and see what they have to say....
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

if you have a big enough press you could kink your legs yourself. I got a machine shop to do mine.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Wayne, Did you make a stand like these? I'd be interested in a quick measurement. I tried to bend some angle once and it put a small amount of twist into it; now I know a shop that would bend the legs for me. How much of a bend/kink did you put in? Did the galvanizing peel off at the kink? The photo I attached has the Aermotor ladder loops----do you think I could just use some angle pieces of Aermotor tower make a nice stand?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I did mine for a stub tower on an Eclipse so I could get a wider spread on the tower legs. Also did some for another tower that I put a 12 ft Axtell on. I'm thinking the angle was 15 degrees. I'll measure mine. The iron I used for the stubs was 5ft. I kinked them it at the 4 ft mark. You could then add legs how ever long you want. Depending on how tall you want the finished tower to be. I'm going out and take some pictures and get the angle and will post the pictures and angle. Both of mine was done with raw angle iron that I painted, but I have a Duplex and an a Elgin Hummer that came from the factory with the kinked legs. That's were I got my angles from. Let me go take some pictures.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I was wrong about the angles. One is 10 degrees and the other is 5 degrees. The bigger bend the wider it will be at the bottom. On the Duplex the yellow and green mill the iron is 5 ft long, and its bend is 5 the other is 10. On the tower laying down the iron is 80 inches and I think I copied the 5 degree bend from the Duplex. . It had a 12ft mill on it needed more room before putting platform on. You can make the iron what ever length works for you and adjust the height by how long the straight legs are. The tower laying down used to be ten ft taller. The other are 10 ft tall. Hope this helps
image000002(14).jpg
image000001(63).jpg
image000000(121).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.