Heating water

......when you need to get in the weeds
Mike Hage

Heating water

Post by Mike Hage »

20210417_185841.jpg
Hello I have a 6 volt model 39 generator on my shed. I have a steel bathtub full of water beside which is really nice in the summer working out In the yard. The sun warms it nicely when it's really hot out but most times it's too cold. Is there any way I can use the generator to heat the water some? How would I do this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Heating water

Post by Wayne »

I know they make 115 volt heater for stock tanks, don't know about a 6 volt heater. You would need some coils to run voltage through. I'd put a six volt battery to the heater and let the generator charge the battery if you came up with a heater. What kind of set up for the heater don't know.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Heating water

Post by Ron Stauffer »

There are DC water heating elements out there but they come in 12, 24 and 48 volt. They used to be used as diversion loads on off grid systems. A heating element is a resistance load so even tho a 6V turbine might get in the operating voltage range of 12V, it would not do much. Having a battery in the mix only reduces the efficiency. Power in and out of a wet lead acid loses 20% and lithium loses 10%. Heat off of an old 6V car headlight would be about it, just keep the contacts out of the water

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO