wooden sucker rod broken off 70 feet down

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
anthonyp

wooden sucker rod broken off 70 feet down

Post by anthonyp »

Hi,hoping someone here has had some experience or advice on retrieving broken wood sucker rod. The 60 year old 1" by 1 1/8" wood rod sections are 20 ft , and each section has 2 or 3 individual lengths of wood joined by riveted steel straps. The wood is in ok shape but the straps are badly rusted, and broke in the middle of one section . The well is about 140 ft deep, and is a single 2" pipe. The main issue is there is very little room for any kind of fishing tool between the rod and tubing. A water well driller / repairer attempted to pull it using a peice of thin wall tubing, V notching it to make inward facing teeth, and knocking it down over the rod. It would grab but didn't hold well enough to hoist out the rod. He was going to look for some kind of fishing tool but I think he has gone onto more lucrative jobs like drilling wells, not fixing old ones.

I have found pictures of a bunch of various types of tools which I may be able to build and try which could turn onto a whole lot of work and time, so I'm hoping that someone has found a tool that works, whether bought or built. Any ideas out there?
Wayne

Re: wooden sucker rod broken off 70 feet down

Post by Wayne »

Ron from Colorado is one person who has probably been there before. Also Windy down in Oklahoma is a first class windmill guy. They will probably have an answer for you. I"m wondering if you may have to pull the drop pipe.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If the 2 inch pipe is down a cased well, I would pull the pipe with the sucker rod in it. If the 2 inch pipe is the actual casing, then you will most likely need an overshot tool. I have several I made, would need to make a drawing, or take a picture and attempt to explain it. Let me know about the 2 inch pipe, before I get too much thinking involved.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

When a sucker rod string drops, it goes down to the bottom of of the cylinder where the plunger hasn't travelled. If that doesn't wedge it tight enough, someone trying to force on an overshot will make it tighter yet. I have had cylinders wedge so tight from sediment that you could pick up everything without the rod coming loose. So all that said, pull pipe until you get to rod where you have something to grab on to. After that, you finish pulling everything so you can replace all that questionable rod

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The experts have spoken!
anthonyp

Post by anthonyp »

Thank you everyone for the insight. I have been told that the 2 inch is the actual casing, but next time I'm out at the farm I'll do some digging to confirm. The driller was able to use his tube tool to grab the rod and lift it until the seals got tight in the unworn area of the tube, then the tool would pull off the rod. At least thats what he thought was happening. So perhaps it isn't jammed in there too tight. I'll be back with more info once I learn more! thanks again
anthonyp

Post by anthonyp »

Well I can confirm that it is indeed a single 2" pipe, definitely not a cased well. So, the tool idea search is back on, and any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Tony
windybob

Post by windybob »

I've worked on several wells with a 2 inch casing. That was common around here at one time. Where is the top of the water located?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Joshnaround

Post by Joshnaround »

Were you ever able to retrieve the sucker rod and get the pump pulled? I have a similar issue... I have a 2' casing on an old well on my place. I attempted to pull the sucker rod and the wood between the two metal fittings broke in two. If anyone has any ideas on how to retrieve the rod I am all ears! Thanks in advance!

Josh