what model Aermotor is this?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: what model Aermotor is this?

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Your older towers were 10ft and 20ft sections
windybob

Post by windybob »

That looks like the whole thing is in pretty good shape. Later model 602 with the access plugs for pinions, and clamp hub. Don't get the pullout hardware or steps mixed up with 4 legged tower stuff, they are different.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

When you go to pull the gear box off the stem first take the hood off and then knock the pin out that holds the draw rod to the yoke it only comes out one way. Then take the stem nut off and the gear box should slide off if it's not seezed on the stem.If it is unbolt the stem from the tower and take it off that way. If for some reason it's an older yoke and there's no pin the draw rod screws out.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes, a lot of 602's have the screw in pumprod. I'm interested in the pitmans, and gears. This should also have the oil ring, and not flippers.

First warning....Do not use a tapered punch for removing pinion pins.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

John , if you have been watching this information site for a while you will recognize the info shared here is invaluable !
One of the smart gentlemen one told me to take photos , MANY photos of how it all fits back together after you dissemble .
Think adult sized erector set !
1st windmill scares you , each mill after that is just a challenge .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I told an older fellow that I had a 3legged Aermotor tower. He told me no you don't Aermotor never made a 3 legged tower. I didn't bother to continue the discussion.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Wayne , see how smart you "older" gentlemen are ! your right on .
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

A couple of things not mentioned when identifying Aermotor 602 and 702 models. The 602 boxes are the only ones that had the access plugs to drive the pitman pins. Only seen in the last few years of production. Next, never judge whether its a 602 or 702 just by looking at the hub and wheel. Aermotor had a special hub and shaft available that would allow a 602 wheel to be installed on a 702 gearbox. The wheel pictured has at least one double rivet section among the single rivet sections, they interchange so nothing unusual there. And finally on 602 gearboxes you will find patent dates, on 702's you will find patent numbers instead. If possible the easiest is just to turn over the gearbox and read the number off the front of the box...
Windcatcher530 Dan

Ivan for some reason up here in n.y. they didn't put the patent dates on the 602s. Between me and my brother we have six 602s and none of them have patent dates I'm figuring the branch house in Buffalo didn't do that.
windybob

Post by windybob »

It would have been at the foundry in Chicago.