Duplex pump

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
martinmil

Duplex pump

Post by martinmil »

Hi All, I got this pump with a load of windmill parts i would like to use it but dont know anything about it does anyone know anything about this pump thanks for the help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Re: Duplex pump

Post by hwy8 »

Here's a page from a 1932 Duplex/Andrew catalog: Hope it helps....Burt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martinmil

Post by martinmil »

Thanks Burt now i have a idea what it looked like now , does anybody know were i can find out how to hook it up to my well under my windmill Dale
windybob

Post by windybob »

Do you have all the rest of it like in the picture?

Or hook the windmill up to the plunger rod that comes up out the top of it. The stroke on the pump needs to be more than the windmill stroke to be operated by the mill.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
martinmil

Post by martinmil »

Thanks Bob , I want to hook it to my sand point and use the windmill to make it pump but i dont know what all i need to hook it up. Whats in the picture is what i have with the pump but i have alot of pump stuff, its only to water the corn garden .thanks
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I've had several Duplex setups and they made a good quality, reliable, run-in-oil, pump-jack. The hydrant looking thing you have was generally used indoors and most often, not hooked to a windmill. I'm attaching a catalog photo of the same type unit hooked to a hand pump. You can see that the U-bolts are made to go around the pump OR a hydrant and the pitman arms were shortened or lengthened for the application. I'd encourage you to watch Craigslist and FB Marketplace in the Duluth area and Northern Wisconsin too. You'll regularly see Duplex pump-jack listings for $20-$40. They made and sold a lot of them so you should find one in good shape and you can still find small town hardware store/well-drillers that have parts/"trade-ins". One thing about using the unit you have beneath your windmill rather than using a conventional hand pump, you might get quite a bit of "whip" in your pump rod since it will be coming all the way down to within about a foot of the ground. Those hydrant types were most often used to divert directly from the well to a pressure tank and you might find it isn't very handy to attach a garden hose or to fill a bucket.

I was living near the South Shore of Lake Superior and I talked to an old guy that, as a child, had watched the local "well-man" driving a sand-point with truck-mounted, drop-weight, cable-operated, rig that hammered 20' sections of pipe into the ground. He said his Dad and several of the neighbors stood and watched the pipe go into the ground and when it came time, the well-man threaded on another twenty foot section to drive in. They figured they'd for sure get water at 80' but instead, got nothing. They kept adding pipe, and meanwhile, this little kid kept tugging at his Pa's pants, trying to get his attention, but he kept getting shushed up while everyone was watching the pipe going into the ground. What the kid was trying to tell his Dad, was that he had been looking over by the milk-house and was watching the sand-point coming up out of the ground and heading for the sky! That sand-point must have hit a rock and took a u-turn! 80 years later, that "kid" and I stood there, laughing our heads off to think that he, and his Pa, and the neighbors got to watch the well-man spend another day driving a second well...

Burt
Last edited by hwy8 on Sun May 29, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinmil

Post by martinmil »

Thanks Burt, I have pump jacks just dont have power down to the well but have a windmill over the sandpoint, was just going to hook the windmill up when needed never thought adout the pump rod problem