Tail lettering

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Tail lettering

Post by windybob »

I think. Not 100% positive.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

For new production, I would say yes. Not sure from what year though. I do believe the older ones were more red. Maybe the old primers had more red I'm the, to go with the lead.
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

This is the color they used
20220428_212944.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

More reddish, right (pics can be decieving).

I've got a nearly new vane, and it's def more of a red oxide(ish) primer looking.
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Yes Ed it's more reddish than the oxide primer
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

IMG_3008.jpeg
The first thing I do is to wash the tail with warm water and a bit of "Dove" dish soap, then rinse it off with cold water. After it dries, I use a 6" clear plastic ruler and a "sharpie" marker to outline the old letters. (Look at the word, "CHICAGO" on the tail that I'm painting) I've found that the corners of the original letters have the most paint and the 6" rule "connects the dots" nicely. As I paint on the new letters, I leave a tiny bit of the black outline and it makes the edge of the letters appear much more sharp, and straight.

Something I learned from a sign painter is to use a "bridge" to steady my hand and to keep it from smearing the wet paint. I screwed a threaded plastic ball/knob onto a 30" wooden dowel and it has made a HUGE difference in my painting. You might be able to see that I first paint the edges of the letters, then fill the inside; by moving the tail around as I go, I can be much more accurate. I also use "One Shot" sign paint and it seems like it is bulletproof! Amazon has it if your local paint shop doesn't carry it. I think I'm using "bright red" in the photos.
Burt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
63markB

Post by 63markB »

That looks excellent
Windcatcher530 Dan

Very nice!