Aermotor B602 restoration

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Aermotor B602 restoration

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

John if you want give me a call 518-948-3299
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

As I await the hub weld fix I decided to turn my attention to restoration of the tail vane. The knowledge that I have learned from this forum was most helpful, especially the dowel "bridge" that hwy8 mentioned on another thread. It proved a great way to steady my hand as I guided the brush. The tailbone side is done, next up is the wishbone side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice job John for the first time doing it. This forum will make a windmiller out of you in no time.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

John , when it's up in the air 20 ft it will look PERFECT ! even better than that . good job .
63markB

Post by 63markB »

That looks really nice John.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow. That's a really nice job.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Thanks everyone! At first I was hesitant to re-paint the vain, thinking that I should to maintain the patina. In the end I decided that the Aeromotor logo is too iconic to let disappear. I am also happy that I was able to remove the graffiti.
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

The wishbone side is done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Hey John, you did a beautiful job on your tail vane! I'm glad you tried that "steady-hand" tool for painting lettering; it works great, doesn't it? (It also does a good job keeping my arm out of the wet paint!) That stencil says, "Ellsworth Hdw Co. Ellsworth, Wisconsin". I live about 20 miles from there, and I think it's amazing how many machines/towers were sold through small 4-corner general stores, feed mills, tractor dealers, etc. (I know that in the Dakotas, Jacobs even sold wind generators through a couple of car dealerships) Ron Stauffer has it right about a bunch of 602's coming from this part of the country; demographically, I think the times and conditions were just right for a bunch of 602 mills to be sold and put up. By the time 702's showed up here, rural electrification had a foothold, and money was getting seriously short because of the depression: It might have been a better time to be in the pump-jack business than trying to sell new windmills. Keep up the good work! Burt
waterPumper

Post by waterPumper »

Burt, Thanks for the complement & the “steady-hand” tip. It worked great. Thanks for also deciphering the stencil! I’ve been scratching my head on that one.