Axtell D

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Axtell D

Post by CTXmiller »

I picked up an Axtell Ever Oiled model D 16’ with a 35’ tower, shorten to 20’ to haul home.
83460C13-F48D-4AC3-B862-8B74C4B11E72.jpeg
The D is heavy and seems rebuildable as far as the gearbox as there was preexisting damage. I can rotate the hub with two hands, actuating the pumping motion of the gears/yoke. The gears looks perfect. It was my understanding that the ranch (a decade or more back) cut the legs and let it fall. It was also my understanding it was likely going to be scrapped. The seller was a very nice fella as was the windmiller that helped coordinate the contact.

I also have an Axtell model B 16’ so I’ll make some comparisons below between the Ever Oiled B & D. The B & D, according to the windmill bible, are the heavy duty models while the A & C were lighter models.
EB7ACE87-5FDA-47C3-9586-5A5B6D0C4AEF.jpeg
This D has a patent 1793301 for the guys that like to look up patents. What I found was basic.

The D gearbox reflects a 1939 build date with 16’ & 18’ stamped on the data tag, along with SN: 2908. Thereby I presume this particular D gearbox, like my B gearbox, is interchangeable between the 16’ and 18’ wheels, presumably a longer tail bone too for an 18’. The 16’ & 18’ sizes were cast on to my B gearbox. The largest Axtell made of the Ever Oiled, per my understanding, was 18’.
1C68C5EC-35E7-4EEA-8374-66A5B219E608.jpeg
The D vane is stenciled with a 16’ & 18’ with the tailbone stenciled 16’ D. The vane is identical in size and construction to my 16’ model B, but the stenciling is different on the two models on the vane, likely because the B is older (1931 for the B and 1939 for the D). One side of the D vane says “Model D” and the other side of the same D vane says “Model B”. It makes sense for Axtell to use the same vane for both the D & B. The D vane does not have a distribution city stenciled on it like my B vane has “Amarillo, TX” stenciled on it.
5FF791AC-482D-4436-8D91-43D403BB867E.jpeg
The wheel arms and wheel for the D have seen better decades as per the fall as described above. The D wheel arms are identical to my B wheel arms.

My back is thankful for the galvanized bonnet on the D as it is light and easy to remove. Whereas the B and all other (A & C) Axtell Ever Oiled models possess heavy cast iron bonnets. My 16’ B’s cast bonnet is every bit of 60lbs+…heck maybe 80lbs.

The D’s tower, storm stay and other components look much like the Baker Monitor storm stay, bail, and turn table, just bigger. It makes sense since Fred W Axtell sold Baker products as well. This is not the case for the B’s storm stay, turntable, bail, etc. as it does not resemble the Baker Monitor system. Both have identical windless winches, which seem close to 40lbs.

The tower angle iron of the D is lighter than my B stub. My B was purportedly on a wooden tower with the metal stub, whereas the D is a complete 35’ metal tower. The D tower could have been taller, but that is what remains. The D has 3/16” by 3” angle iron and the B has 1/4” by 3.5” angle iron. Both angle iron on the B & D have “Colorado” raised in the steel as opposed to being stamped in the steel.

Having the above said, it appears only the vane, wheel arms and wheel are interchangeable between the D & B models. Maybe the spring and a few minor parts might also be interchangeable. I think the B weighs more, but the D is much bigger with the tall (Aermotor style) galvanized bonnet.

The serial numbers have me a little puzzled as my 1931 B possesses SN: 603 and the 1939 D possesses SN: 2908. To me, it is unreasonable that Axtell could have sold 603+ 16’ B’s in 1931 (Great Depression) and likewise inconceivable they could have sold 2908+ 16’ D’s in 1939. Thereby, I surmise that the SNs were applied to all Ever Oiled models (A, B, C & D) increasing each year and never resetting per calendar/fiscal year. I think Paul has a 1939 Ever Oiled C, so his SN might validate my logic or just make me scratch my head and continue to ponder useless stuff.

More photos to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Axtell D

Post by windybob »

Thanks for all the info. INteresting. Be nice to get ahold of some factory litersture to help with the numbers. I dont think a person would find any of that info on the sales brochures or catalogs. I know my A is heavy, guess yours would be massive.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

More photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

More photos
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

More photos (some might be duplicates - sorry for the orientation)
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Few more
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I know for gas engine serial numbers they keep increasing for ever year built. I had a tower like yours, smaller scale. We thought it was Axtell, now I know it was. It looked just like yours as far a patina goes. Axtell's Galvanizing on towers must have needed some improvement.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , nice find , sure is HEAVY duty , clean , does not appear to be worn out , nice to have the space & facility to refurbish big stuff like those Axell's