Value of 8ft F & W?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
KB3246

Value of 8ft F & W?

Post by KB3246 »

Hi everyone,
I am new here. I hope I put this in the right place….My husband & I are on a bit of a project tangent. I am curious if anyone can tell me the value of this windmill?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Value of 8ft F & W?

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

Value is subjective and takes a variety of factors, including but not limited to:
-getting the windmill head/tower down is a cost or at least an effort,
-locating/acquiring another used/complete fan,
-the bearings condition,
-worn, broken or missing castings,
-location has a bearing too on price as there are more windmills in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. than some other states, which might make their regional rarity potentially a little more in those states with few windmills.,
-what someone is willing to pay,
-etc.

Looks like a Star 37 and rebuildable.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Welcome to the forum Katelyn. As Micheal said it depends on the condition and cost of taking it down. For starters it needs new sails from what i can see. If it was up here in NY i would offer between 500 to750. That way if the motor is trashed I still have a tower and tailvane and other parts
windybob

Post by windybob »

On the other hand, here in NW Oklahoma, I might offer 250 tops. Towers are everywhere, and the head is obsolete, only good for collecting, and parts maybe. So As everyone so far is alluding too, prices vary dramatically.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Katelyn , what part of Texas are you in ?
as others have suggested it depends on cost to take it down ( depends where you are in TX ) where eventually you want to reinstall as a spinner and costs to refurbish in motor . Lots of what if's .
Free is usually best , but , just like that free cat , ain't nothing free !
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yeah and remember you can go up but he can't so start with something you are comfortable with and go from there. The tower might be the most expensive part. I go with Windy's $250
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Me and my brother Joe take down and put up our windmills but if I had to hire someone to do that then yes I agree with Wayne and Bob 250. tops.