Unusual Wind Power Feature

Share and discuss your vintage wind generator related projects.
Wind Charger Mike

Unusual Wind Power Feature

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I thought I’d share an unusual “turn-out-of-the-wind” feature on a 2500W Wind Power Electric Co machine. Maybe someone that sees this post has seen one and knows more about it. This is a 1935 model Wind Power. It’s a 32V, 3 blade 14’ dia, direct-drive, downwind wind charger….not a very common machine. I think I’ve seen maybe 5 or 6 in the last 10 years. Wind Power is the predecessor to what became WinPower in the late 1930’s.
The blade actuated governor feathers the props to limit speed but it becomes ineffective in very high winds. Not having a tail vane to turn it out of the wind puts the burden of shutting it down solely on parking brake. A cable activated drum brake is located inside the generator case behind the armature. The confined space and small diameter drum make it difficult for it to shut it down in high winds…. the 14’ prop can generate a lot of torque at high speed.
This machine was purchased by a friend in Minnesota in the 1970’s. It and its 50’ tower were lovingly stored out of the elements until I purchased it a few months ago and drug it back with me to Texas. I’ve restored the machine and currently have it and the out of the wind feature mounted on a 7’ stub tower.
The mechanism consists of a ½” pipe that connects the yaw post shaft to a 12” diameter gear located under a storm stay casting a few feet below. A spring mounted pinion gear and a hand crank connected to the pinion gear 40’ below allows you to manually turn the generator out of the wind. The spring counters the weight of the ½” dia steel X 40’ of steel rods that go to the ground so only a small amount of force is needed to engage or disengage the pinion. The thing is very well constructed so I’m thinking it may have been factory produced or possibly an accessory offered by a dealer or windmill tower mfg for high wind areas. Can’t rule out homemade as I’ve never seen any literature on it. The pipe connection to the large gear allows the brake cable to be used once you’ve taken the machine out of the wind. I believe the intent was just to help shut it down, not to leave it out of the wind. I don’t see how it could survive high winds for very long. The turn-out of the wind feature was 90% complete. It was missing the ½” pipe shaft (possibly because it twisted off) and I added the oil filter wrench for the pinion spring cover.
Wind Power Feature_001.jpg
Wind Power Feature_002.jpg
Wind Power Feature_003.jpg
Wind Power Feature_004.jpg
Wind Power Feature_005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: Unusual Wind Power Feature

Post by mtblah »

Mike , wonderful looking facility you have for working & display of those many wind chargers !
Is the A/C working ?
Wind Charger Mike

Thanks Mike, no AC, open doors and get the fan going, not so bad. Starts to feel cold when it drops into the 90s. Stop by when you’re in the neighborhood.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks for sharing Mike.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

Ive wondeered about that with mine. I havent built a power ring yet so i havent had mine up to speed yet. Think ill just leave it on a stub tower for now. Thats a lot to ask of the brake. Although its a way better brake than the wincharger. Super cool Mike
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Mike , just reread your initial post . The oil filter socket as a cover is brilliant . Use what you got .
Wind Charger Mike

I think oil filter socket was for a geo prism I owned many years ago. Probably not something to brag about.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Mike that is one awesome looking charger, Very cool!!
Wind Charger Mike

Here’s another early Wind Power I just found, slightly later model, 1500W, 32V. I’ve seen literature on these but this is the first one I’ve come across.
17F84F80-9A59-4D34-BD0C-9A106BD92B93.jpeg
676C7571-3DAC-4F9A-8791-05AFB678C2A5.jpeg
9EC5BCA8-0B34-4892-8C44-64FF85F02CAC.jpeg
8CBEEA7C-7798-45E3-A39B-210813F16B49.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Mike , thats interesting most of the wind generators need a lift / chain hoist , to handle . Heavy stuff .
Big chain hanging fron thr rafters .