What's going on in this picture?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
hwy8

What's going on in this picture?

Post by hwy8 »

Is that some kind of "potato chopper" that he's using? Is the pump rod hooked to a right angle and then the back and forth motion runs the machine? (Since I don't pump water, I'm always thinkin' about ways to watch a wheel spin AND do some work too: This might work to french cut my carrots or maybe, slice potato chips: I figure that I'll make a fortune!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: What's going on in this picture?

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Burt that is a winger ratchet feed grinder and the Stover in the picture is the wooden one i have.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

That's a great looking mill Dan, is it going up at your place? It's an interesting way they've built that tower too; it looks like they used the entire side facing us as a ladder. I looked up the ratchet feed grinder and didn't find much technical info. (maybe I'll look in the patents) I wondered if the ratchet mechanism turns a wheel/stone a full 360 degrees, or does it ratchet back and forth like a pendulum clock, maybe mirroring the triangle action where it is attached to the pump rod?

Burt
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I think it works like a ratchet with a socket. The wheel makes a circle inside.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Yes Wayne it does and Burt I'm guessing it uses the same metal bur plates like other feed grinders. At one time there was one on eBay i wish I would have bought it.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Here's the picture from Google Patents and if you search USRE9109E - Silas c - Google Patents, you'll find the description sheets. It's always interesting to check out the related patents list too. It would be interesting to try Wayne's idea and use a Harbor freight ratchet to see if I could run something. I might have mentioned before that I've thought about using a bicycle frame with the pedals, chain, and window weights (or some-such) taped to the wheel for a flywheel, maybe on a line-shaft. (I'm starting to sound like the Absent Minded Professor! When I start talking about putting Flubber into my B702 gearbox, lookout!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Burt more like the nutty professor. LOL