Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
gravel hill

Re: Powermill in Wisconsin ID help please

Post by gravel hill »

No tail bone found. I found two horizontal braces for the bottom of the tower, that's two I don't have to make before I lower the tower. The galvanizing on what I find is really good...that also helps identify these bits and pieces as part of the tower, or mill.
Bob, I poked around the tower base area. Nothing found, good idea you had there though.
I'm going to see if my brother in law can draw any details he may still remember about this mill. He's an incredible artist. He mentioned to me that he remembered a cast iron weight. I'm guessing that maybe this mill used a counter weight to govern with the tail? I looked for that and maybe found it hanging on a nail in the old shop...pics attached. There is a marking on it but, I can't make out what it should be. No set screws, maybe collars held it in place??
My plan is to lay the tower down around Labor Day...my son in law has time off then and we have a pretty good plan in place...I've still got plenty of prep work to do also.
IMG_1926.JPG
IMG_1925.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway..John Wayne.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Gravel Hill have you found anything else since your last post. The wheel arms are probably flat steel bent hairpin looking around three to maybe four feet long. I don't think the weight you posted belongs to the mill but that's not writing in stone. I really hope you find the hub cause that's the most important piece of the puzzle everything else can be fabricated.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

We were vacationing with the family this past week... No other parts found.... I'm pretty handy with iron and wood. You're right, the hub would be a big find indeed...the rest I think I can make.
the journey continues...
Windcatcher530 Dan

Gravel Hill I'm trying to narrow something down does anyone know around what year your mill was erected?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Gravel Hill I'm almost positive I know the manufacturer of your power mill. When I'm 100 percent i will share it. Keep searching for the hub. Very important!!
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

No Hub.... I have the date the mill was built on the farm...1905...my charming wife found the date on the back of a photo...
The farm had a phone back then but no electricity. My father-in-law was born in 1914 and he told me stories about that mill running..how old he was when it was running I do not know...so the mill ran until after 1914 sometime...
IMG_1966.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I never expected that year!! Well back to the drawing board the hunt continues.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Awesome picture!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Hey gravel Hill any new news on your mill. I've been doing alot of reading nights and pretty sure I know the manufacturer.But still not 100 percent? Labor day is just around the corner. Good luck.
gravel hill

Post by gravel hill »

Sorry...I've been tied up some with county fairs and horse things. Also working on the last building the farm needs freshened up (no parts found in that one). On top of that I've been helping a contractor buddy with some carpentry work....geez, I didn't know retirement was this busy.
Tower dropping is now moved down the calendar. Still hopping before the snow...which could be October... My son in law is working a ton of overtime as a weldor. He thinks we'll get to the tower in the fall yet. I hope so, then that gives me the winter to work on windmill things and cut firewood...and ice fish....plow snow......