Woodsmanse project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Woodsmanse project

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

A little progress is better than no progress. Keep us posted.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You might check here pretty close for an oil feed port. They get plugged easy, and sometimes hard to find.

woodmanse ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Centex Windmills

Post by Centex Windmills »

Windy this is what I've found so far there is a small one right near where the shaft goes in that dumps into the top part of the snout and then the drain that comes from the front and dumps out below where the main shaft goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

great. I just didn't want you to miss them. The ones I worked on had 1 port if I remember. It was quite a while ago.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Centex Windmills

Well after a few weeks wait finally got some parts back from the machinist to start putting it back together.

After spending countless hours and talking to various others re-pouring the Babbitts In this was just not going to happen there's a reason we figured out why after 3 years they changed design and put a access plate on the top of the snout. It's not impossible but not something I'd want to try and engineer again, so we came.up with option b so it never has to have bearings done.

My machinist and I developed a brass bearing that would fit in the cast oblong hole, it was cast that way as the casting marks are still on it, that will be held in place with Babbitt to fill the imperfections. Should work let's hope.

Now to put the new mast pipe in, and start putting it all back together.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Brandon , great thinking , the next guy in a hundred years will have another interesting conversation trying to figure out brass bushings , not babbitt .
Good job .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Centex Windmills

Been a while but finally got a new mast pipe machined which was the last major machined part and was able to start putting the e-model back together, hopefully I remember how.

Got the brass bearings in and Babbitts poured around them to hold in place. Drilled out oil passage holes and test fit the shaft and it all spins freely.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice work Brandon, keep us posted!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Brandon , great job , lots of time & money involved to a windmill looking that good mechanicaly again after a hundred years .
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Nice job