I bid on this and need help

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
mattshup

I bid on this and need help

Post by mattshup »

I bid on this at an auction and ended up winning it. I have yet to see it in person as it is 4 hours away from me. The Auction guys say its an A802 (motor is bad) which is why I bid on it. The sails and other stuff look good along with most of the tower and I like the galvanized platform. :D

I read the 802 model was started in 1981, and in that time work was outsourced to Argentina. But then in 1984 came back into the states and was based in San Angelo? Do we know roughly what year this would be by these photos or do I need better. Is it even an 802 model? I don’t know if “Chicago” being on the Vane means anything or not but I seen a lot of the newer ones say San Angelo also. Guess I just kinda have lots of little questions to know a little more before I get into this.
C63ACBDF-DCC5-4541-AF94-1DAEBC644248.jpeg
B2AA2D4F-B7B8-42B6-ADDF-3411CA8EF78B.jpeg
A42189A0-1CCE-49A8-AB15-2D057E7D07FD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Re: I bid on this and need help

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Not great pics but:

Tower, fan, spokes, tail bone & vane are Chicago era.
Motor, furl lever and tower platform are newer.

It looks like there is the flat area on the case casting between the hub and the case. If there is a brass tag on that flat spot, the motor is likely less than 20 years old. Earliest 802s were green. Argentina never built the 802, just the predecessor 702 and now the 902.

The motor is likely repairable provided the saddle is still intact to hold the main gear bearing housing. Pitman arms likely broke after something jammed and also took out the helmet

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:05 pm Tower, fan, spokes, tail bone & vane are Chicago era.
Motor, furl lever and tower platform are newer.
How do you tell the difference in the spokes, i know the 602 vs 702 difference but what’s different from an 802?
Ron Stauffer wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:05 pm Argentina never built the 802, just the predecessor 702 and now the 902.
What’s a 902 in comparison to 802 or 702? Just made in Argentina?
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

How do you tell the difference in the spokes, i know the 602 vs 702 difference but what’s different from an 802?
802 spoke.jpg
Here is a pic of an 802 spoke, same basic function spoke but the brace is open notch and welded, SAE threads on the outer band and an over size SAE hex nut. They are untimed and need shim washers in either steel or lead to time.

The newest spoke Aermotor is doing is smooth without an attached brace but has a single bolt on brace that could be called half of a Southern Cross brace. This makes sense since it would eliminate timing, be secure and interchange and be faster install than a Dakota spoke
What’s a 902 in comparison to 802 or 702? Just made in Argentina?
The 902 is FIASAs approach to provide on site rebuilding with a bolt in insert. You can take a look at it in Ken's post which would be more aptly called "10 ft 902 converted to a power mill."
https://vintagewindmillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1832

I consider most of the "improvements" made by FIASA, Reliable and Wind Engine on the Chicago 702 design to be a step back as it reduces the interchangeability of the parts. The 702 clones look good when new but when you start seeing durability issues on certain parts that have only been up 5 to 10 years, that is troubling.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.