Cool Pictures For Beatty Guys

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JBarker

Re: Cool Pictures For Beatty Guys

Post by JBarker »

Kansas Rust Buzzard wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 am Yea, the one I had the chance at was just like that only branded Cushman. I have never even heard of another? I remember the one from Lubbock. Thanks
Found this online:

Easy Windmill History

The Easy windmill was manufactured by the Easy Manufacturing Company of Lincoln, Nebraska. At least as early as the mid-1920's, the Easy Manufacturing Company was producing open back geared and then later oil bath back geared steel pumping windmills from a plant located at 1405 North 12th Street in Lincoln, Nebraska. Owned by father and son, John F. and Charles D. Ammon, the firm produced a range of farm implements including its windmills. The Ammons purchased castings from a neighboring firm across the street, the Cushman Motor Works, which at the time was best known for its internal combustion engines. The Ammon family at Easy Manufacturing Company not only distributed their windmills under there own trade names as Easy Mills, but they also supplied them under contract to Montgomery Ward and Company, which for a decade sold them through its mail order catalogs as Air King Windmills. Today these mills may be seen in the field under both names.
The Ammon family became interested in the nearby Cushman manufacturing plant, and John Ammon quietly began purchasing Cushman stock. By 1934, he had gained a controlling interest in the Cushman firm and merged it with the Easy Company under the Cushman name with his son Charles installed as CEO.
For several more years, the Cushman Motor works continued to produce the Easy windmills, although the firm devoted most of its efforts to manufacturing anew and increasingly popular product, the Cushman motor scooter.

BACK
Jerry Wade Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Wow, never heard that it merged like that, neat. Those little Cushman upright engines are all over the place, I always heard they sold them for putting on binders to make it easier for the horses. I would really like to find the clutch set up for that and put one on mine so just a team could pull it without hurting them.
windybob

Post by windybob »

They also made another mill. can't remember the name at the moment, just saw it today.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

Plattner Yale made in Lincoln. I've taken down several of their towers but they had other make heads on them.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've got a 1919 Binder engine 4 HP. In 1919 most engines weighed 250 lbs per HP. Cushman was 50lb per HP. If you want one go to Smokstak.com they come up for sale all the time. Used to buy parts from a either Great or just Grandson of the original Cushman. He lived in NM. If you just want the clutch you could place a wanted on the site. Mine didn't have the clutch when I got it.
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

wind fab wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 am josh

i have a massey harris windmill, made by the same people that made cushman golf carts

Paul ur neighbour to the south :D

Paul i would love to see your collection someday. The Massey Harris mill is a cool twist i never knew about that Beatty did.I am currently down near waterloo where i grew up visiting my grandpa and from what i have heard through the grapevine i would only be an hour and a half away from your area or so.
Josh From Ontario
Rhettro

Post by Rhettro »

Troy Loard put up a Cushman or maybe an Easy, I’m not positive but it’s 3 miles from downtown Lone Grove, Oklahoma US of A 🇺🇸 ⚙️💨❤️
wind fab

Post by wind fab »

josh

you are right, we are pretty close to st jacobs, maybe a hour or so, have alot of junk no charge for me to show it to you

Paul
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Interesting Wayne, I will have to look, actually, I really should find a clutch for the International, I got an IH binder and I know they sold a kit back in the day, it was the same clutch their potato diggers used but I have never seen one.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Me neither and I collect IH. Send me a picture of your engine.