WIndmill Id

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Ron Stauffer

Re: WIndmill Id

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
Never saw a closeup of the vane, it was always just in the enticing background of some of your other projects' pics...

This is the Kijito

kijito.jpg

kenya tower.jpg

It is made in Kenya Africa. About a year and a half ago, I got involved with EWB - Engineers Without Borders on this windmill water pumping project in Kenya. Initial installation was 5 years ago and the intent was for irrigation for the village. In the five years they spent as much again as the original installation and have had numerous issues with the windmill, the well and the drop pipe.

It is now finally pumping at capacity and the village is realizing the impracticality of doing major irrigation via windmill. It is a decent setup 24' fan mill that is direct stroked but with advantage and a 3 3/4" open top cylinder. It does pump a little over 20 gpm. The village also has a solar pumped well that produces twice what the windmill does on a per day basis. To get more water the village is considering a larger solar array on the solar well with battery storage to pump that well 24/7.

Provided no more tribal upheaval, there is a site visit in August. I plan to go this year since I realized the site is only 30 miles from Mt Kenya (Africa's 2nd highest 17,057') and 200 miles from Kilimanjaro (Africa's highest 19,340').

The project reminds me so much of doing work on the Rez - many different contractors, no oversight, no master plan, lengthy decisions, poor workmanship, vandalism, getting consensus with multiple entities, etc.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Ron, thanks for the pics and info, interesting large mill. Looks like you're drawn to where there are big mountains. Ever been in the Alps?
Peter
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
Yes I have been to but not climbed anything there. Why did I go? A good friend's brother married a Bulgarian. I complained that normal people get married in June when the mountains are melted out to no avail. It was a great trip tho! It was a week in Bulgaria being immersed in all the traditions of their culture. Then we spent a week in my very distant home country, Germany, and then Austria. I got to see enough of the Alps to pique my interest. The mountains aren't horribly high but it is not difficult finding difficult peaks at low elevation. There are lots of treks in the Alps with conveniently located hostels that has an appeal to me. Sorta like taking the train across the Canadian Rockies minus the train. Plus is all you have to pack is a day pack.
Ron
wind fab

Post by wind fab »

ron

original lettered vanes arent as common around here as you think, kinda hard to come by, i only have 2 good ones( none that are for sale lol)
if i find a bunch more i will keep you on my list

Paul :ugeek:
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Paul
Every once in awhile I like to sit on the customer side of the table and say " It doesn't have to pump water but I do want it to spin and turn, not leak oil or make noise, be aged nicely with original lettering, and within my budget of $500"

Ron
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You might could still find one for that if it wasn't for the ladies wanting them for the wall. With them if it's what they see in the dreams price is no object.