A602 and old homestead

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
mtblah

Re: A602 and old homestead

Post by mtblah »

Very large John Deere grave yard out there .
And lots of oil field size engines .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I know where Cransfills gap is. Not to far from me.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

spring could be from a Monitor L, "possibly" guessing from the size it looks to be on the tailgate
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

rockingjl wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:35 am spring could be from a Monitor L, "possibly" guessing from the size it looks to be on the tailgate
Not sure, but maybe to a L. It was setting on my tailgate when I took the photo. There was no evidence out there of an older windmill, but it could have been hauled off when the 602 was installed. I’d love to run a metal detector out there.

Wayne - he had that Dempster Model 3 pump jack in my photos for sale, if for some reason you needed/wanted one.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

They did an adaptation of that tower for some reason. The top part of the angle X brace is mounted correctly and the intersection of the X brace is in the right hole. When X brace gets to the bottom girt, both it and the X extension are in the middle holes like in a 33 tower. If they tweaked the tower out for that steel frame, there would be an arc to the legs but they look straight. The X extensions are in the correct hole at the anchor. I am curious what they did and why?

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:17 pm They did an adaptation of that tower for some reason. The top part of the angle X brace is mounted correctly and the intersection of the X brace is in the right hole. When X brace gets to the bottom girt, both it and the X extension are in the middle holes like in a 33 tower. If they tweaked the tower out for that steel frame, there would be an arc to the legs but they look straight. The X extensions are in the correct hole at the anchor. I am curious what they did and why?

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Ron you have a very sharp eye for detail.

The tower has factory stencil reflecting it to be 33’. I saw 33’ stenciled on it and then decided to measured it at the sellers place prior to loading it up. Measured 27’. There is also a stenciled tower part # on a leg.

It looks like the tower was shortened for the hinged base that was added. The hinged base is stout, like 3/4” plate, but had horribly weak welds, which appeared to help in its demise. The seller did say that the windmill was lowered by a water well guy he had out there to assess the well. It was my understanding he pulled pipe or assessed it some how and then reuprighted the windmill/tower. It then fell a year or 3 later.

Couple of more photos after unloaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

A true authentic 33 would have been a top 7' and two 13.5 sections below. They compensated some by running the top of the angle X braces to the lower tower lap bolt versus the top girt. I would guess it may have a slightly different footprint as how the tower top sprung together with the mast out. The only time I have ever seen 27, 33 & 40 on Aer towers was on the angle X brace so assemblers would use the correct holes. If you have anything different, I would like to see.

This may help you with what goes where if you want to torment yourself. I have found some things are better left Aermotorically incorrect.

aermotor tower dimensions.jpg

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I would guess you are close enough Texas hill country that there were German stone masons down there. It is interesting to see similar looking limestone houses in Germany, Lancaster PA and Fredericksburg TX. I like old farmsteads to see how they did stuff and why. Neat homestead!

Ron
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Beautiful pictures Michael. Probably more than one set of kids raised in that house.