How do you winterize a 2 inch "Rod Well" Duplex Jack Pump

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
Jaakko

How do you winterize a 2 inch "Rod Well" Duplex Jack Pump

Post by Jaakko »

Well Pit.jpg
Hello Group,
I recently purchased a Farm House built in 1910. The well was originally operated by a windmill. The windmill was sold and now there is a Duplex Jack Pump operated by an electric motor. The property is located in Michigan, about 50 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. The house was vacant for 17 years. A piece of good luck is the pump works. I get one gallon a minute. As of right now we have a temporary eclectic service. We operate the house on a 50 amp RV extension cord. This is not our full time residence so leaving the extension cord to heat the well pit is not our preference. The well pit is 7 feet deep. I'm in the process of repairing the pump house. I was wondering if when I get the pump house weather tight the winterization would be to pile insulation batts over the ground level floor. Does anyone have any suggestion for winterization?
Jack Pump.jpg
I talked to a local well drilling company. They are the one who described this as a "Rod Pump". We are hoping to use the house and well during the winter.
As a side note, on the trash pile are wooden sucker rods. They could be 25 years old.

Thank you,
Jaakko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: How do you winterize a 2 inch "Rod Well" Duplex Jack Pump

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Up here in NY are winter's are pretty cold. My friend has a well pit around seven feet deep also.He has a heat bulb in the pit and only turns it on on when it gets pretty cold.Being your well pit is that deep it should work for you to.Just for safety put a thermometer in the pit.