new to me F&W 37 Star Zepher soon: tips for care in windy area requested

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
DennisT

new to me F&W 37 Star Zepher soon: tips for care in windy area requested

Post by DennisT »

Having had a 10-foot F&W Steel Star Zephyr hidden in my back building for several years, I finally struck a barter arrangement to get it put up. I'd given up not knowing how to get this done. Now I have someone who I have confidence in, who has experience, who will put it up soon. It is in good condition and is being thoroughly prepared to run again. I live in an area that sees light breezes most of the time and can, at times, get gusty/windy. I would like to learn all I can about how to care for this F&W under this environment. I've read all I can find and the fellow putting it up is already giving me a lot of good advice. I'm asking here in the hope of gaining a wider range of comments about what has served you all well in maintaining your windmills in windy areas. I do have a 29-foot reach Telco bucket truck, and hope that will help me take good care of it. I'm at an age now where ladders are not a good idea any longer. General thoughts appreciated, Dennis
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: new to me F&W 37 Star Zepher soon: tips for care in windy area requested

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Dennis is your bucket truck tall enough to get to the mill for maintenance?
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Oooops.... Guess I forgot to clarify that part. He's assembling a 20-foot tower. That's intentional because my bucket truck has a, "29-foot reach." Windmill might look better on a 30-foot tower, but what we're doing is my choice for servicing it. I think it might be close getting up where I can pull the hood off to refill oil. I'm new to owning/watching/maintaining a windmill. Still trying to figure out how they behave. If I pull the sails in, can the whole thing still swing into my bucket if the wind picks up? (That would be bad) Hope this helps.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Yes even furled your windmill will still rotate back and forth. Just plan maintenance on a calm day.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

That's what I thought. Might take careful planning. I wonder how long term brake maintenance is for the F&W's??????