Greetings from Berkeley, CA

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
tankhousemap

Greetings from Berkeley, CA

Post by tankhousemap »

Hello!

For the past two years, I've been building a comprehensive map of all the surviving windmill-powered wooden tank houses in the Easy Bay in Northern California. Out of the thousands of towers which stood one hundred years ago, I've managed to track down and document 70 (and counting). Windmills, wells, and the associated plumbing almost never survive, so I figured it would be best to turn to the heads who know all about that stuff.

These structures are scantly documented, and I'm in the process of writing a book all about them - how they worked, how they were built, who commissioned and built them. I'm an architect, so I'm especially interested in the construction and engineering of these amazing structures.

I have lots of questions about the mechanics - regulators, floats, valves - the works. Hope to learn a lot from you all.

Thanks!

Aaron Goldstein, RA
Berkeley, CA
East Bay Urban Tank House Map

https://aarongoldstein.us/tank-house-map
mtblah

Re: Greetings from Berkeley, CA

Post by mtblah »

Welcome aboard Aaron , lots of very knowledgeable windmill men & women . some very technical , some of us tinkerers , some just hanging on .
Hope someone can help answer a few of your questions .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The first thing I would do is order me a copy of Dr. Baker's book "A Field Guide To American Windmills." The Windmillers Gazette still sells them as does the Wind Power Center.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Aaron! What an interesting project. I've seen photos of towers that were enclosed or clad, but assumed it was primarily for aesthetics or to keep the tank insulated from the weather. I didn't realize that some incorporated living arrangements, or housing that incorporated the windmill pumping system by design. I applaud your endeavor to document what is remaining.

Have you touched base with T. Lindsay Baker and Christopher Gillis? If not, I bet they would be interested in your project. These guys have done an outstanding job studying, documenting and preserving all aspects of wind powered pumping.

Again, welcome. Feel free to ask questions. We're here to share our collective knowledge and learn at the same time.
PaulV
tankhousemap

Post by tankhousemap »

Thanks all!

Paul - cladding the tanks was a two-for-one - the cladding/sheathing effectively creates a shear wall, and therefore a stronger tower, even though the open trestle type towers were plenty strong, provided the timbers didn't rot. The pumping equipment all happens outside - the windmill would between a pair of cantilevered joists at the platform level so the pump rod was centered directly over the well pipe. Around the East Bay, none of the tanks were enclosed, with very few exceptions. Up north in Sonoma County, out in the country, exactly the opposite is the case. The tanks themselves had lids to keep out debris, animals, etc.

I'll talk to T Lindsay and Christopher - many thanks!

AG