Butler missing part

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
jcbrownf

Butler missing part

Post by jcbrownf »

I got this in auction and it's missing handle.. Not sure what year and exactly what it is I know it is says Butler Indiana on it..
Any info will help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Getting ready to put up my second mill

Post by windybob »

Butler was a company that made windmills, pumps, and other items for water supply. They were a pretty big company and sold items all over the country.

Looks like maybe the head on the pump may take a handle that is common to many hand pumps. Not sure, but looks like it. Love those lattice pumps.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Butler missing part

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice find John!!
windybob

Post by windybob »

also looks like you'll need the fulcrum to go with the handle. If anyone has any old butler literature, maybe there will be a picture of it. The fulcrum is the part the handle pins to, and the fulcrum pins to the lower ears on the head. Most handpumps need a floating fulcrum due to the vertical pinning of the handle to the flat bar coming out of the top of the pump. There are a few different makes of these items, having different measurements. Measure between the ears and the outside measurement also on the fulcrum mounting ears. If anyone around has an old handpump on their well, if the measurements are close, maybe borrow the two items and see if they work. All the fittings should be pinned, (or, probably bolted by now) because they need to move. It's surprising to me how many handpumps use the same or very similar items.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

John , cool jack , no handle so pump was probably attached to the windmill and never hand pumped .
I am sure one of the supermen on this windmill site will help find a handle that will work .
When you look at past posting in this section you will see other lattice pump photos , special find .
Windcatcher530 Dan

John i took a better look at your pump and i think that style pump you have is called a force pump cause it doesn't have a chamber.Thats my guess.
Windcatcher530 Dan

John a little info, Butler started making pumps as early as 1891 from what I can tell . Nice!!
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I don't see Butler pumps around here, its a gorgeous example!