Change swivel bearing on Baker Mfg WC 21

......when you need to get in the weeds.
CTXmiller

Re: Change swivel bearing on Baker Mfg WC 21

Post by CTXmiller »

Good job.

That is windmilling. Fixing something with what you have, adapting as well and to the best of your abilities. I consider it a plus when I’m done and uninjured too.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Very ingenious Todd i always believed if you study something long enough you'll figure it out and come up with a plan. Good job!!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

good save !
Fxrtharley

Post by Fxrtharley »

Update, I did have a windmiller tell me I could put all balls bearings in as you saw in the picture but I decided to put the spacers back in to minimize track wear and keep the friction between the balls minimal down the road as the grease is degrading.
One trick from doing it myself was to put a strap over the top to hold the top race up while changing out the balls.
Hopefully good for another 80 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fxrtharley

Post by Fxrtharley »

Thanks everyone
windybob

Post by windybob »

Monitors can be a real pain when doing anything up top that is close to the turntable. We usually take a couple of bunji cords and strap the turntable top down by stretching one up over the top on one side, then another on the other side. that way you can pretty much do anything up there without losing the balls down the well. Just even a small bump of the head against the turntable can ruin a perfectly good day if it's not held down.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.