602 tailvane mystery

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Windcatcher530 Dan

602 tailvane mystery

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Does anyone know why aermoter only put this corner patch on some of their 602 tailvanes? I can't find any information on it. Thanks!!!
20221031_145953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: 602 tailvane mystery

Post by mtblah »

Windy knows why .
My A702 has the same corner splice , I asked the same question in 2020 .
a roll of sheet metal was less expensive in a narrow width , extra metal from cutting tri-angles was inserted in the corner .
Thats my story and sticking to it .
Mike B
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Another way to save on material would be to use a roll of material that is the width
of the length of the vane. Would save time making up and installing the patch.
would have to have material custom made I would think.. Not a standard width at the time.
Maybe not even now.
When I made my B602 vane I bought a piece cut so I could make the vane without the patch.
Joe
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

What I'm wondering is why they ONLY put that extra piece on some 602 tailvanes not ALL of them?
windybob

Post by windybob »

There was a tutorial written years ago by AJ Wodack on re-skinning this particular vane. It also covered the seaming of the 2 pieces. I don't remember if he discussed the actual reason the skin was patched in like this, but if anyone has the article or can see where it is, it would be worth reviewing. It was on the old Bill Cherry windmill website.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

windybob wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:11 am There was a tutorial written years ago by AJ Wodack on re-skinning this particular vane. It also covered the seaming of the 2 pieces. I don't remember if he discussed the actual reason the skin was patched in like this, but if anyone has the article or can see where it is, it would be worth reviewing. It was on the old Bill Cherry windmill website.
I have a copy of his skinning article and the babbitt pouring one ... will look tomorrow.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

oh thats great!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Sorry for the delay, busy weekend!!

I dug and dug through my files and cannot find the babbitt pouring or vane skinning article. The only one I can find is the sail restoration article.
However, scroll down to the bottom of this link (on you know who's website).

http://www.windmill-parts.com/id36.html
Thanks,
Ed
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The horizontal seam on the 8 & 10 vanes was there from some OG to 602 to 702 until Conway.

Chicago Aermotor used four different widths of coil to make vanes from 6 to 16. The days are gone when you could order that many sizes and be accommodated. Henry would roll over with current supply chain issues when he was used to ordering model T parts shipped in specified size wood shipping crates that he could reuse for floorboards, the authenticity of some urban legends are best left to just that...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO