Stover model M

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Russail

Re: Stover model M

Post by Russail »

So I'm guessing it was made to be oiled not greased. Seems it would be impossible to grease.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

In the third photo of the race plate it appears there is a oiler nipple with a flipper lid to keep foreign objects out .
Russail

Post by Russail »

Yes , so would you use same oil as in gear box?
Russail

Post by Russail »

And would you oil once a year with gears or more often?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Russail most windmills use transmission fluid in the gear box.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Open gear mills need looked at or serviced once a month. Or at least after each rain. Boo hoo!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

CTXmiller wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:42 am Paul

You have a photo of your Axtell tag/SN that you could post? Curious at its SN and how Axtell ran their SNs via models. Thanks
Just getting out to the shop this evening. Here's the tag from my 12' Axtell C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you Paul. I was trying to figure out how Axtell serialized their Ever Oiled models.

My 1931 model B possesses SN: 603 and my 1939 model D possesses SN: 2908. Your model C from 1939 with SN: 2885 was made fairly close in production to that of my D, just 22 made between your 12’ C and my D. Sort of makes your model C both a big brother and little brother to my D…that will mess with your mind. So it appears Axtell SNs were applied to all Ever Oiled models (A, B, C & D) increasing each year and never resetting per calendar/fiscal year.

I had previously posted most of the below in another thread to help with my theory, but Paul’s SN seemingly fills in my theory.
It is unreasonable that Axtell could have sold 603+ 16’/18’ B’s in 1931 (Great Depression) and likewise inconceivable they could have sold 2908+ 16’ / 18’ D’s in 1939.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I always say keep you lies simple, you may need to repeat them. He-He Looking at old newspapers the other day from Ft Worth home of the Axtell an add listed Monitor and Witte gas engines as being sold be Axtell. Plus Monitor Windmills and their Standard Windmill from a 1907 paper.