Aermotor 602 Brake Band

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CN63

Aermotor 602 Brake Band

Post by CN63 »

I am reconditioning an Aermotor A602 and the brake band had a flexible woven brake lining riveted to the band. The material was worn out and I am looking for new lining to rivet to the band. I have read some articles on here saying dont line the band but go steel to steel when applying the brake. That seems unreasonable and would like to put a buffer in the band. Does anyone know what the thickness of the original lining was on these units?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Aermotor 602 Brake Band

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The original was metal to metal. You could buy another brake band. There should be some slippage.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Some windmill brakes have a woven brake/clutch lining riveted, but the Aermotor brake band does not. It is hard to find any woven brake/clutch lining less than 3/16” in thickness. McMaster-Carr sells some and I’m sure other places do as well.

A new brake band is best, but if you’re wanting to replicate it as it was, the photo from McMaster-Carr has what you’re likely wanting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CN63

Post by CN63 »

Thank you for the info.